Thread: Zastava 7x64 (98 system)??

Zastava 7x64 (98 system)??

Hey folks.....
    Just had one of these given to me today..... Is it going to do anything better that the 30.06 and .308 to be worth buying ammunition for it? I didn't need it, just a friend is going back to the states and didn't do the paperwork to take it with him.... Gave it to me to keep til (if) he can come back over...... I'll see it for details tomorrow... Just know he paid way too much money for it last year with a new scope.....

Thanks.... Dave

Well, I'd say it will handle a 162gr A-max better than either of the other two...

No Dave by your own admission nobody should use anything smaller than a308 on any game ! ( remember that one ?? ) To be honest I'm amazed a calibre expert such as yourself even has to ask???
    Don't do it Dave dear lord think of the humanity !!
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Cut Dave some slack, he has been in Neider Bayern too long, he even refers to it a "Northern Bavaria" rather than more properly "Lower Bavaria"

SS

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    No Dave by your own admission nobody should use anything smaller than a308 on any game ! ( remember that one ?? ) To be honest I'm amazed a calibre expert such as yourself even has to ask???
    Don't do it Dave dear lord think of the humanity !!
    Hunting isn't just something I do it's part of who I am

SD Regular
    No they are rubbish. Fit only for scrap. If you wish to send it on to me here, in England, I will ensure that it is disposed of.

Joking apart as it is a Zastava there may be some "issues", apparently or so some Forums claim, supposedly. Remington used these, didn't they for their Model 798? So will have the same vitues, vices and features I'd guess.

Zastava built 98-style Mauser actions that you see on Parker Hale and Interarms. Nothing wrong with them.

I have a Zastava military Mauser in 8x57 which shoots 5 shots touch with its little pointed iron sight.

There is not that much difference between the .30-06, .270 Win, .280 Rem and 7x64, given all the nice light .30 caliber bullet available. That said, as someone who owns maybe 10 .30-06s, I own three 7x64s, including one I built ( still working on the stock ) in a traditional style, and new Steyr SBS Pro Hunter with iron sights. A 154-gr SST or 150-gr BT or Accubond will outshoot the 150-gr 30-calibers beyond 300 yards. The 160-gr Sierras and 162-gr Hornady's are really long range, not just the trajectory, but the energy they deliver from retained velocity. In the USA, a .280 makes more sense.

When I got my first one, it was because of the availability of ammunition overseas and the restrictions on the .30-06 and .308 in countries. I really enjoy the Mauser 7x64 more every time I hunt with it.

just picked it up this morning... It's real nice and simple... The scope is a weaver classic in 3-9x38.... as far as looks and feel, (for my taste) it's much nicer than the ruger 77 I have with the heavy barrel....... I'm not crazy about the idea of 3 types of ammo, but he gave me 120 rounds with it so I'll never have to buy any........
    Last edited by daven; 20-08-2014 at 17:46.

Keep it and shoot it matey. Cracking round the 7x64 and if you need to ever buy some ammo for it, Geco's 165gr softpoint is lovely.

KR,

Scrummy

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    Keep it and shoot it matey. Cracking round the 7x64 and if you need to ever buy some ammo for it, Geco's 165gr softpoint is lovely.

KR,

Scrummy
    Thanks.... Half the ammo he gave me is that..... other half is the ppl (?) stuff in 180 gr SP....