Thread: s&b 8x56

s&b 8x56

Going to put my s&b 8x56 on my t3 .243 tomorrow. It will be sitting in optilocks. Any tips for mounting and zeroing? Thanks russ

If you have a normal size barrel rather than varmint you might get away with using extra lows if 30mm tube

chamber bore laser

should get you within a 4 inch circle atleast

When I mounted my Leica on my .308, I used one-piece Talley rings (screwed to the action), so it will be a bit different from Optilocks.

I first test-mounted the ring bases, and then re-mounted them with a bit of blue Loctite on the threads. I placed the scope in the rings and did a sight test with the sky in the background to see if there was any differential twist in the ring bases. That appeared fine so I added the ring tops (just nipping up the screws) and tested that the scope slid smoothly between the two rings. That also appeared fine, so I didn't lap the rings.

I mounted the rifle a few times both free hand and prone to come up with a good fore-aft location, and then torqued the top rings down.

Next I put the rifle on a bench, removed the bolt, and sighted down the bore. I then had my wife move a target around on a wall about 50 feet away, and had her tape it up when I could see it through the bore. I then looked through the scope and dialed it to the target (it wasn't off by much).

First shot at 100 yards was on paper (about 5" from the bullseye), so easy enough to zero (2" high) from there.

Cheers,
    Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    If you have a normal size barrel rather than varmint you might get away with using extra lows if 30mm tube

chamber bore laser

should get you within a 4 inch circle atleast
    Throw the laser away and do it by eye, you should be a lot closer than 4".
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Just a word of warning - I briefly tried an S&B 8X56 on a T3.

The scope was very nice, but sat so high that it made it quite unfcomfortable to use, and I had to crane my head up to the extent that I had no real contact between cheek and butt. Accuracy and consistency suffered as a result.

In the end, I sold it and went for a smaller scope. I do have a bizarrely small, narrow head, so this may have been part of the problem - but be aware you may need a comb raiser to get it to work really well.

thread lock the ring to base screw on your optilocks!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    thread lock the ring to base screw on your optilocks!
    That's a Good Call mine came slack

Jimmy