Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heym SR21 .308 or similar

Heym SR21 .308 or similar

After missing out (too slow to reply) on a lovely Heym SR21 up on here recently I'm in the market for one in .308 or a similar style and quality rifle.

I've got 1200-1300 to spend on a package (rifle, mounts/rings, scope and mod) and, yes, I do want to commit the ultimate sin and have one that is screw cut.

It'll be used solely for deer stalking and will probably only get occasional use so I'd like one that's nice and in good nick.

I appreciate they're not the most common which is why I'm open to suggestions of similar style rifles, so what do you know that's lurking out there?

Yes sorry you missed out on the one I sold (I think that is the Heym you are talking about), but wait until the right one comes up and it will. You have made a superb choice in wanting an SR21, does it have to be in .308? or are there any other calibres that would be acceptable.
    The ORDNANCE QF 18 pounder Field Gun......I wonder if they will let me have one of these on an open ticket

Yes it was your Heym and I was gutted I wasn't quick enough. I suppose it doesn't have to be a .308 but that's the slot I have and after a fair bit of research it seems to be the best calibre for me. But saying that if the right rifle came up in a suitable calibre I could always be tempted to put in a variation.

Just hang on, the right Heym will come up, I would say wait for it and dont go for what may be second best.
    If I hear of anything suitable I will most certainly let you know.
    The ORDNANCE QF 18 pounder Field Gun......I wonder if they will let me have one of these on an open ticket

Don't discount the SR20 either - yes they are the older model, but equally well if not better built. Major differences - SR21, safety on cocking piece, 3 lugs 60 degree bolt opening and detacheable 3 shot mag and small ejection port (fidly to single load and you cant load magazine when its on the rifle) and barrel and receiver are one piece. SR20 - trigger blocking safety, fixed 5 round magazine with dropping floor plate, 2 lug, 90 degree bolt, and barrel is screwed into reciever. SR20's seem to go for 200 or 300 less than equivalent SR21.

But because they are so good they tend to be kept and only come onto the market when somebody is giving up, or gone on to the happy hunting ground.

There's this one on the latest online auction at Holt's in 7x57: http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...315&saletype=I

Try giving Border's Gun Room in Newton St Boswell a call - they had one for sale in there a week or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Try giving Border's Gun Room in Newton St Boswell a call - they had one for sale in there a week or two ago.
    Thanks for that, I've sent them an email.

They can be a bit hit and miss with email, so worth actually calling if you don't get a reply in a day or two.