Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small game classed as deer!

Small game classed as deer!

Evening gents.

Any Welsh lads confirm something for me?

Got a client coming down down for some stalking from Wales who was told he can shoot deer with the term "small ground game" on his open ticket. I'm sure if he was stopped in Devon by the police with deer in the back and no "deer" word actually on his ticket that he may be in a little bother! If I'm wrong that every day is a school day and I've learnt something new, just want to cover my ass.

I'm also just wondering about the advice as he was also told it was a grey area! I told him....NO, its black or white!

Thoughts?

Regards Carl.

Interesting. He doesn't have AOLQ, I suppose?

In any case, a FAC is not required to be in possession of a dead deer

He might shoot under 'estate rifle' rule if necessary?

On that basis my 'thoughts' are - don't stalk in too close, keep the scope on lowest possible magnification and whatever he shoots at should look sufficiently 'small' to meet the conditions on his ticket. Meanwhile back in the real world (IIRC), deer aren't classified as 'game' and I think he should have 'deer' or 'any other lawful quarry' on his ticket if he's going to legally shoot deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    he should have 'deer' or 'any other lawful quarry' on his ticket if he's going to legally shoot deer.
    That would be my thought also.

So "any other lawful quarry" caters for deer on a persons ticket? Is this the standard practice for forces across the country?

If it has a hole in it and you have a rifle on board, what then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Interesting. He doesn't have AOLQ, I suppose?

In any case, a FAC is not required to be in possession of a dead deer

He might shoot under 'estate rifle' rule if necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by shooter79 View Post
    So "any other lawful quarry" caters for deer on a persons ticket? Is this the standard practice for forces across the country?
    it is in Devon now....

A friend has "fox and AOLQ" on his .243 and has been told by his FEO he is fine to shoot deer. He originally applied for fox as the good reason so was granted it for that and subsequently started shooting deer once he got more land. I was similar but since adding a .308 (deer were the reason for it) all are now conditioned for deer and AOLQ

SD Regular
    Evening gents.

Any Welsh lads confirm something for me?

Got a client coming down down for some stalking from Wales who was told he can shoot deer with the term "small ground game" on his open ticket. I'm sure if he was stopped in Devon by the police with deer in the back and no "deer" word actually on his ticket that he may be in a little bother! If I'm wrong that every day is a school day and I've learnt something new, just want to cover my ass.

I'm also just wondering about the advice as he was also told it was a grey area! I told him....NO, its black or white!

Thoughts?

Regards Carl.
    Never seen that term on an FAC. You use the term client, so I'm guessing he's paying. Ask to see a pic of the conditions of his license and insurance for your records and satisfaction. If you're unhappy (calibre, condition, insurance cover), you should insist he uses your rifle (and even then only if he has appropriate insurance). Turn him away if he wont provide. I'd make him do the DMQ shooting test first up too.

Unless he's coming deeper and down - and then it's just the status quo....
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

If you check the ACPO stuff on the sticky on this site you will find when the recommendation was made about AOLQ. Down to each force as to how/when/if they role it out.

Bottom line for a lot of forces is "if it ain't broke". Those that see an increase in "requests" have probably gone down the AOLQ route as it means less admin.

AOLQ means that you gave authority/permission for the animal on the ground and a suitable calibre.

Stan