Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Capture & Relocation

Deer Capture & Relocation

Animal Capture UK (ACUK) - Part of the Jelen Group - successfully captured an entire herd of 24 Pere David deer from a small park near Hockham, Norfolk.

The success of the operation relied on several crucial factors, one of the main ones being the 'conditioning' of the deer for some weeks prior to capture day. We advised Kerrie, the owner, to feed the deer every day from the same vehicle that the animals became accustomed to.

Whilst it was important to use the same vehicle, it was equally important to feed at different times of the day so the animals didn't get accustomed to feeding at regular times. Initially we darted the bulls first and then the most nervous animals. The plan worked perfectly and allowed us to dart all the bulls in less than an hour.

The fewer animals left, the more nervous they became and so as the day wore on, we then began to use two vehicles and one operator located in a tree within woodland where the deer went for cover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Team ACUK.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	46043
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACUK PD Darting Picture.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	46041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PD Calves.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	46042

The entire operation was completed in less than 10 hours, with no injuries, and no losses.

ACUK have now engaged two new Live Capture Operators on our National Team. Adam Godley and Deidre Dyer, who after intense training from ACUK and Jelen carried out important administrative and operational duties recording vital data to ensure the well-being of the animals during and after capture. Adam darted his first deer in fine style, and Deidre will be darting her first deer next week during our annual de-antlering work on farms and parks throughout the south and southwest of England.

Remote Chemical injection is now being recognised as a vital aid to the management of park and farmed deer, and this week has proved just how useful it can be in aiding stress-free management and handling of deer.

All those involved worked tirelessly for the whole day, and moving 250 Kg+ onto the top deck of the transporter meant that everyone parted with some sweat! My sincere thanks goes to:

Kerrie Jackson - (Hockham Deer Management Group)
    Deidre Dyer - (Researcher & RCI Operator - Jelen Deer Services)
    Malcolm Brown - (Director of Jelen Deer Services & RCI Operator)
    Adam Godley - (Conservation Consultant & RCI Operator - Jelen Deer Services)
    Scott Brown - (Trainee Field Operator & RCI Assistant - Jelen Deer Services)
    Andy - (Driver - Gordon Gilder Livestock Transport Ltd.)

Regards,

Mike

Mike Allison
    Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services
    01264 811155

Interesting stuff mike glad it went well a friend of mine is moving thier red herd possibly next year to thier new property and I hope to be involved in that .
    regards doug
    Last edited by norma 308; 21-08-2014 at 05:51.

I am glad it went well for you sounded like a good day for all. we have heard that you also sent a few big red stags over on the corran ferry nr Fortwilliam to there final destination is this correct or are we on the wrong page? sorry new info it was a full lorry load, the haulage firm was from the south.
    Last edited by scotlanddeerstalking; 22-08-2014 at 18:44. Reason: up dated info added

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Interesting stuff mike glad it went well a friend of mine is moving thier red herd possibly next year to thier new property and I hope to be involved in that .
    regards doug
    If you need RCI Operators, do let us know. We'd be happy to help.

Best regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
    01264 811155

Quote Originally Posted by Jelendeer View Post

Remote Chemical injection is now being recognised as a vital aid to the management of park and farmed deer, and this week has proved just how useful it can be in aiding stress-free management and handling of deer.
    I think the rest of the world has been aware of this for decades. The old saying is "you can't run a deer enterprise off the end of a dart gun, but you can't run one without one either".

Sounds like it was a great day. How do you find the temperament of Pere David's relative to reds or fallow? Is capture myopathy more or less of a problem with them relative to other species. How do you find them when in the yards & paddock relative to the others? We don't have Pere David deer in Aust (maybe one day?) but there are some in NZ & many other countries seem to have them now.

Thanks
    Sharkey

As long as they get the withdrawal period right, I know some people are bowled over by venison, but not in the etorphine M99 sense

will we see Pierre David,s deer at Ardnamurchan soon Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    I think the rest of the world has been aware of this for decades. The old saying is "you can't run a deer enterprise off the end of a dart gun, but you can't run one without one either".

Sounds like it was a great day. How do you find the temperament of Pere David's relative to reds or fallow? Is capture myopathy more or less of a problem with them relative to other species. How do you find them when in the yards & paddock relative to the others? We don't have Pere David deer in Aust (maybe one day?) but there are some in NZ & many other countries seem to have them now.

Thanks
    Sharkey
    Hi Sharkey,

My own personal experience of them is that they tame down really well, but once you start handling them they stress out pretty quickly unless you have a good handling system and good handlers. Reds are much better in a handling system. PD's are a bit big when they start throwing themselves about so careful handling and well designed systems are crucial. They do tend to throw themselves around more and more susceptible to self-harming through attempting to get away. Temperament-wise, I reckon they could be a problem during the rut, more so than Reds. I'd certainly be more careful around lairy PD bulls. The ones I've seen appear to be more aggressive.

Julian Stoyel at Houghton has probably got the best handling facilities and experience of handling PD's of anyone in the UK.

Regarding Capture Myopathy, then I reckon that all deer are susceptible to it if handled incorrectly, but I would say that PD's stress out much the same of Fallow.

I think that managed correctly, PD's could be a brilliant source of quality venison and big carcasses! … But one of the main issues is calving difficulties caused by them getting over-fat. If you can keep the condition right through careful grassland management and feeding, then they have certainly got something going for them.

Is anyone farming the commercially in NZ?

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
    01264 811155

Quote Originally Posted by robbie rowantree View Post
    As long as they get the withdrawal period right, I know some people are bowled over by venison, but not in the etorphine M99 sense
    Immobilon works brilliantly on PD's, and you only need about about 1ml for a big PD bull, whereas you'd need up to 3ml for a BIG Red stag to achieve the same results.

We used Rompun & Ketamine on these ones and it worked like a dream. It would be nice to think that we could use the same on pre-rut Red stags with the same level of reliability.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
    01264 811155

The deer all arrived safe and well a credit to Mike and his team, and they will now add to the expanding deer park operation and allow us to take full advantage of the distillery draft. We hope to be providing top quality Red deer stock for sale from next year off our hardy Ardnamurchan hinds crossed with some first class English and European Stags. For anyone interested in live purchase of Pere David this should be available from 2016 onwards.
    Deer farming and venison is on the rise and the rapid decline across may parts the highlands of wild Red deer means its going to play an important role in the future - Its worth getting involved