Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you folks drive (SUV type)?

what do you folks drive (SUV type)?

Hey folks.....
    Looks like we will be looking for another DD for the wife... KIA Sorento that she loves so much seems to have the motor shot and we are waiting on an estimate to decide whether to cut our losses and get another vehicle or fix this one...

Needs to be AWD (at least 4wd), be reasonable on fuel, and pull 2 ton (occassionally)... Pickup is not an option and a landrover isn't real cost effective here. Any of you drive anything you would buy again or recommend? Not looking at new but not older than 10 years...
    So far, only SUV type I've found with the weight capability is a nissan Xtrail, and the Korean stuff... Wife doesn't want another KIA now.. Sure there is more stuff out there, but don't know what to look for.... Any experience with the audi allroads, or the subarus that can be raised up and down as needed?

Any tips appreciated..

Dave

I have the X Trail and can't fault it mate, although I don't tow with it. Good mpg, comfy, loads of room and I'm 6' 3" and 16.5st. When I need to change this one I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, which speaks for itself I guess,

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I run an X-Trail as well and love it. I change most cars after a year or two but have kept the X-Trail for 5 years now and currently have no plans for a change.

I've looked at the new model X-Trail and really wasn't impressed by it at all. It looks like a big step backwards for people who want a 4WD to do some actual off road or towing. So, be careful of buying a new model one based on recommendations of people who have the older model.

I get about 41 miles per gallon, as reported by the computer, out of mine but run all terrain tyres which both increase the consumption (very slightly) and are also a slightly different size than what the computer is designed for so it is actually doing a little better than that. I do a little bit of in town commuting type stuff, quite a few longer runs and probably 10 - 20 miles per week off road.

The down side with it is that the wheel size means getting all terrain tyres can be difficult though there is more availability now than a few years back. However, you need to be careful of this.

I'd have another one but, unfortunately, wouldn't consider one of the new model X-Trails so it may be that I'll have to look for something else when I come to change. The current one suits me so well that it is my intention to run it until it stops.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I have a Skoda Yeti and love it.
    Mauser M03 Extreme .308 / Ruger 22 250

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrecruiter View Post
    My father runs a Yeti and he loves it as well, it is a nice car and I think there is a 4WD version though that's not what he has. However, I sometimes have a trailer full of sheep on the back of the X-Trail and pull it out of fields etc. and I honestly can't see the Yeti doing that. If your requirement was to cope with forest tracks etc. then I think the 4WD Yeti on decent tyres would be a great stalking vehicle.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

What do mean by "reasonable" on fuel? I've got a new Jeep Grand Cherokee which is great vehicle but only gets 30 around town and about 36 on the motorway... Not great for a 3.0ltr Fiat diesel with 8-speed gearbox, but considerably better than the outgoing Merc engine which was utter sh*te (23 around town)!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimrecruiter View Post

If we were looking for a newer car, and it would pull 2ton, it'd be bought quick..... All terrain tires aren't really necessary... By reasonable on fuel, I'm thinking 8 liters/100km autobahn or less and no more than 12 or so town.....

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    By reasonable on fuel, I'm thinking 8 liters/100km autobahn or less and no more than 12 or so town.....
    So, in "old money" that's 24mpg around town, and 35mpg on the motorway (according to http://mpg.webix.co.uk/)... Plenty of choice in that case, even a decent secondhand Grand Cherokee with the Merc engine will do that
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    So, in "old money" that's 24mpg around town, and 35mpg on the motorway (according to http://mpg.webix.co.uk/)... Plenty of choice in that case, even a decent secondhand Grand Cherokee with the Merc engine will do that
    Will keep that in mind.... Thanks.

Try the new Subaru forester diesel , rated to 2 ton and a cracking drive. Don't think it's hot the jack able suspension (possibly the outback estate). Got a bog standard impreza with 128K on and no issues, so my next one will be the forester or outback in diesel.