sporting rifle

wraith

hi lads noticed that sporting rifle gets a fair bit of critisism on hear your reasons why please and no i have nothing to do with sporting rifle but if your waching pass me a few bucks and il say 308is the best gun out there :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are a lot of organisations out there that are working hard to make best practice the norm and often clearly bad practice is written about and depicted in the Mag. To be fair the majority is safe enough but there are always one or two lapses in each copy.

For my taste there is a little too much safari stuff in it one safari escapade would be enough for me. I want to hear about what is more reasonably accessible in the UK. The articles that involve females make me laugh, clearly the editor fancies him self as a bit of a ladies man. Also the percentage of female stalkers in the Mag in no way reflects the demographic of the shooting public in the UK. If you want titivation or pictures of chicks there are more Mags that cater for that than cater for rifle shooting!!

Dave

thanks dave im with you on the safare stuff have no intrest in shooting eney thing that going extinct :eek: and would like more on roe deer etc as for the air gun bit i shot air guns most of my days but dont want them in a full bore gun mag dont know eney ladey stalkers wish i did :lol:

its just a gloryfied advert for most of the kit in there, and some of the articles are so flawed that stevie wonder could drive a bus through them. i buy it for a laugh, and to see what the numpties are talking about next!

I agree with all comments on here.

but if we dont back it ............ it is gone

Charlie Jacoby is a decent sort, Peter Carr is a stalking agent. Like him or loathe him he put his money where his mouth is.

wish some on here would do the same.

why dont you send in articles, or comments to improve?

It has gone downhill since PC took over but without support it will go and that is not what we want. ((is it)(shoting times))

No it aint all bad and as for advertising well that's part and parcel of most things nowadays, it just needs to concentrate on activities and quarry that we in the uk like to pursue me thinks :)

sr

I think the last few editions have improved. I went for a few without reading anything, ie snake shooting issue!! It seems for the last couple to have got back to foxes, Uk stalking etc.
Product placement in the articles is painful sometimes but as already said theres nothing else. The ST's attitude to stalking is so middle class its not funny, and as for Mr Humphries, dont even get me started.

Don't read the sporting rifle but did look at the fieldsports channel. some of the things they show on there :rolleyes: . Looked forward to the bit about wild boar. what a crock. The bavarian bloodhound bit with PC :rolleyes: i thought they were taking the ****. The shooting of snipe in wales with the gun handleing and safety :eek: . Don't whatch that rubbish any more.

www.prokennel.se

I think it's a bit hit 'n' miss (no pun intended! 8) )

One of the low points was an article on chicken hunting - I kid you not... :eek:

Some contributors obviously better than others, some pieces shallower than a paddling pool, but nonetheless, there aren't that many rifle-orientated mags around, so I take the rough with the smooth (no sniggering at the back.... :lol: :lol: )

Merlin

Gents l have to agree with you about the content of Sporting Rifle, dont buy it as i get given the odd copy from a friendly shop, and have to say l wouldn't buy it...

Some of the content has had me spit me drink out at times whilst reading it....l seem to remember one article about a stalker being taken out to shoot Roe and being told to shoot into a dense thicket to get them to move out to become clear shots!!!

As for the Safari stuff, they have other mags under the same creation that cater for these i.e. Sporting Rifle Big Game - why make something into what its not!

Friends of mine deal with PC on a daily basis in the course of business and whilst some feedback is very good, other people loath the bloke (i suppose you cant please everyone as we all well know)... as for being a ladies man? Ha ha l dont know but he does seem to think his readers want to see women in the rag, so given he's the editor (what does it say about him or the direction he's giving to the staff?)

The Fieldsports channel is l feel in its infancy, l think we have the best to come (passibly with a change of management??) but never-the-less as it stands some of the articles/videos/footage is informative whilst other items are simply tosh and ego stroking.

Tom

This one really ****es me off, what a total waste.....

The issue i have ( actually i dont have any issues!!!) are the editorials are form the same bunch (actually just a few) month in month out, same old **** dragged up time and time again. Bad bad bad proofing and **** writing style.

As for PC, the mag is just his personal conduit, and sporting rifle is no better, if its not a 700 based tactical then is only ok. I saw an artical on driven Boar where the editor had borrowed a Krieghoff double in 9.3x74R and then kitted it out with a Surefire M4 and an eagle cheek piece. What an arse.
Another artical was detailing a Tubb2000 in 6XC, afer a so so write up the best group went over an inch, what a joke, i know personally is capable of 2s and 3s all day at 100y with any competant shooter behind it...

They should both get fresh blood, proofers who can proof and subject matter experts.

Ive even stopped just reading them in WHS it winds me up so much.

Im going to count to 10 now......

Agreed, it's complete pants and painfully badly written.

What are the best mags / periodicals in the US or elsewhere around the world? I remember seeing a New Zealand mag many years ago, but can't remember the name.

Mauser66

I have a copy of Rod & Rifle from New Zealand that a Kiwi couple in my village kindly brought back for me after their last trip home. My only complaint is that, in reality, it should be called Rifle & Rod, as most of the magazine is about stalking ;)

I travel around the world a lot for work, so always try to buy a hunting magazine if I can find one at the airport (no chance at Heathrow :evil:) My favourite has to be Wild und Hund from Germany, although Pirsch is also good. The Scandinavian magazines are very good (somewhere I have a copy that contains lots of plans for high seat construction), the Spanish seem to be fixated on Africa, and the Italians produce high-quality, content-packed magazines.

I like looking at the US mags, but I have typically found that there's precious little 'real' content between the covers. Maybe I've just not found the good ones yet.

willie_gunn

My god willie_gun you can read all those :eek: multi ligual or what, Im well impressed ;)

Max :)

I used to contribute articles to ~Sporting Rifle and had most published. I enjoyed writing what I thought was decent informative copy. However after PC took over and hacked a decent piece of writing to pieces to turn it into a disney style fairy tale that barely resembled my original copy I've not submitted anything since.

I also don't like the way he now uses it as his personal advertising forum. Also openly advertising questionable estates and their "sporting hunts".

Blaze publishing had the opportunity to make a really good magazine out of this with a good following but I personally feel it is on the slippery slope with a clique of chums writing and advertising their wares.

I do not subscribe or submit copy to them any more as I feel they don't want decent journalism.

There are some very capable writers out there (amongst us) that could be recruited to a magazine that would make it credible, informative and enjoyable to read

Last edited:
:) Hehe...it really is old hat and an old grumble, but shall we make it constructive and get a fix on the best magazines around the world and what makes them good?

Willie, that's the one - Rod and Rifle - I enjoyed reading it and ever since then I've been hooked on the idea of dropping everything and heading out to New Zealand. There was another one based in Australia with lots on pig shooting etc. I miss Stalking Magazine and knew a few of the old fellows that wrote for it. But it was never a big hitter. Good articles though and about much more than the current Sporting Rifle recipe of new kit and new rifles and scopes. There was a lot on deer and stalking and tradition and old stories of old stalkers.

Last edited:
I know what a lot of the lads are saying, but what else is out there to beat it for the kind of shooting we are in to? Particularly now it includes target shooting too. I prefer the new style/layout...but it does have it's flaws.

Back