Thread: Harvesting

Harvesting

I have just watched an old one on youtube from "The Shooting Show" entitled "British Boar under moonlight"

Apart from the nauseatingly obvious sponsor product placement (I appreciate it has to be paid for but a bit of subtlety wouldn't go amiss) they used the phrase "Harvesting".

It is not harvesting it is killing/culling. Hopefully they have now stopped pandering to the PC crowd with these stupid terms. They aren't listening anyway.

Farmers plant crops and harvest them. Shooting an animal/bird is NOT harvesting it is killing/culling.

Maybe slaughtermen "harvest" fallen livestock and "harvest" meat for Tesc,, Sains..ry. etc.

Its nearly as annoying as referring to bullets as "heads".

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same?

Angry. Ade

Nope.

I hear "harvest", and think "the taking of the excess that nature has provided". I don't think of it as particularly PC. Just poncey.

"Bullets" always sounds like something a non shooter would say, but maybe I have been conditioned.

Don't really find anything wrong with harvest. It's the taking of something when it's ready or at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by phitt View Post
    ?......It's the taking of something when it's ready or at its best.
    In that case I like to 'harvest' really cold beer......

Quote Originally Posted by Ade8mm View Post
    I have just watched an old one on youtube from "The Shooting Show" entitled "British Boar under moonlight"

Apart from the nauseatingly obvious sponsor product placement (I appreciate it has to be paid for but a bit of subtlety wouldn't go amiss) they used the phrase "Harvesting".

It is not harvesting it is killing/culling. Hopefully they have now stopped pandering to the PC crowd with these stupid terms. They aren't listening anyway.

Farmers plant crops and harvest them. Shooting an animal/bird is NOT harvesting it is killing/culling.

Maybe slaughtermen "harvest" fallen livestock and "harvest" meat for Tesc,, Sains..ry. etc.

Its nearly as annoying as referring to bullets as "heads".

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same?

Angry. Ade
    Feel totally the same. Its the same as 'managing'. We are finding words to make it acceptable to those who don't agree with us.

So if i shoot a boar with my Merkel 12x7x57R combination gun, do's that make it a combine harvester?

Harvesting implies taking something to eat or use. Killing/culling does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    So if i shoot a boar with my Merkel 12x7x57R combination gun, do's that make it a combine harvester?

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    Feel totally the same. Its the same as 'managing'. We are finding words to make it acceptable to those who don't agree with us.
    I always have a wry smile when I see the signs we have to put up "Deer Management in Progress"....

Is it me? or has anyone else come across a circle of chairs in a woodland clearing with a few flipcharts and digi projector showing a powerpoint presentation to a herd of attentive fallow engaged in "blue sky thinking" and discussing the mission statement and vision of their impending "harvest"...

Which reminds me...must do the end of rut appraisals for the remaining roe bucks.....I have a few that I feel are underperforming and not reaching targets....

Alternate sign... "manager cull in progress"
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"