Leupold

dieseldan

Is it not strange how many Leupold scopes end up in the classified section?

or is it because they are pure chinese manufactured shite?

Dieseldan,
are you referring to my scope in the classified?
As there is only two I must presume that you are referring to the VX3 that is advertized.
Perhaps you could come back with a more informed view,or is this personal.
regards
griff

Last edited:
Dan,

There two types/builds mate, but you are right in saying most are just crap. I've said this many tiimes, if Leup's scopes were as good as their marketing/advertising suggests they are, they would be up there with Swaro/S&B. Any one who's had one knows they are not, the second hand prices reflect this -

I've seen on the bay many times Leup scopes go for silly money and l just think rich air rifle owner or ill-informed cf user....

I've had two one from the states (an older ((good)) one) and a jap built euro thing - both sold for German optics,

Tom

Would it come as a surprise if I told you that some S&B's are built in china..
I have just been out stalking this morning with one of the main importers of S&B in this country,he dropped the bombshell over a cuppa, they source the tube and all their CNC work to China.The glass is sourced from Schott the rest is outsourced.
Don't that blow a big hole in your theory..

I found the following comment interesting. I remembered reading it a while ago and found it again...

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2367198&trail=32

Look down to 'mysticplayer' comment at the bottom.

Here's what he says...

12/28/07
Leupold has been outsourcing their lenses for decades. I have a Guns and Ammo article from the 80's with a factory tour which states clearly all their lenses come from overseas.
The big issue is 'domestic content'. This allows companies to lable'Made in USA' even though some/many of the parts come from Global suppliers.
Lenses are dominated by the Asian factories. Some of the top Japanese houses have set up factories in China and the Phillipines to make the best lenses in the world. Many Euro scopes source from Asia too.
Remember, China/Phillipines has all of the newest factories built to the same specs as in Europe or Japan. They just have done it at 1/3 the costs.
Much of the scope tubes are made in China. Why a number of big name clones can exist so cheaply. Yes, the Mk4 is cloned to no end. Makes you wonder how they got the design specs?
A top of the line CNC machine run by an Asian or an American stil produces the same product. China now leads the world in Robotic manf. Yep, your Chevy might very well be built with Chinese robotics.
China is rapidly becoming the world's largest consumer of quality aluminum alloys. So no wonder that is where much of the tubes are sourced there.
At the end, domestic content allows any company to lable based on US import/export rules. Why you can have an import Caddy and a domestic Honda.
Many scope companies outsource various parts but keep the content/assembly high enough to legally call their product domestic. Others can't be bothered and go for the better margins.
The jobs left a very long time ago and aren't returning anytime soon. Ah, capitalism....
Jerry

I saw some of the cloned scopes a while ago we were shooting at Sennybridge military ranges, one of the guys in the club is a dealer and had picked up several scopes for a new shooter to try out.
We all rated the chinese hundred quider over all the rest including my ziess !!!
The Euro scopes have had there day if the truth is told 20 years ago they were the mutz nuts now there is little or nothing between them and the top asian stuff:eek:

I have only got 1 Leup, a VX2 centenary that is on my .22. admittedly it's not in the same league as my Smitt stuff or the Docter thats on my HMR but its a good little scope for the money. My oldest stalking buddy has an old VX2 that he bought second hand when he was an aprentice stalker in Sweden about 15 years ago. Since i've known him he's had Smitts, Swarovski's, and a second hand nightforce. last year he moved back to Sweden and sold a lot of his kit to fund the trip. All he kept was a Benelli SA shotgun and a Sako fullstock .308 with his old Leup on it. When I asked him why he rated it so high he said that he didn't need to use it in the lamp so night performance wasn't to important. He told me about the 2 years he worked for minsterley ranges, he said that he regularly sent scopes away for repair. Of all the top makes leopold had by far and away the best after sales service quite often repairing scopes for free.
I think a reason lot's of them get sold is that they are a great price for someone looking to get a decent scope for starting stalking then many sell them to fund more expensive optics as they get in to it a bit more. i'm sure some people think you can't stalk deer unless you have a pair of Harkila trousers a hand built rifle and Swarovski bino's (been a bit caught up in this myself for a while).

Just my opinion.
Ezzy

now we are into the pros and cons of different scopes im looking for one for my rimfire with an illuminated reticle any ideas dont want to spend more than 300 must be variable got my eye on hawke endurance whats your pleasure gents

Nothing wrong with Leopold scopes, been using them for many years and have the new VXL on my 25.06. Never had a problem with one yet, or with Burris either.

Worked ok this weekend

Ahhhh well I have a couple of older Leupolds both acquired used. One a M8 Compact 4x scope I brought to go on a rifle I had just brought, a sporterised Swedish Mauser and it did OK on that but the 35mm objective added to the fine duplex left something to be desired for first and last light stalking, I still have it on a .222 break barrel rifle. The other is a Vari X 111 2.5-8 and again it lacks the performance at first and last light, it came on a Ruger No1B in 300 Win mag, the rifle is gone but the scope is not on a P-H 1200 super. They are robust but I fear overpriced. They have to be to pay for that warrenty. So i keep my eyes open for good used optics and buy when i can.

Pault sorry I don't rate the hawke scopes much at all. I was stupid enough to buy a Nite-eye to try it out and it was awful. I stuck it on e-bay.

Hi Paul,

Further to Malc's comments - have a look at the Burris Fullfield 3-9 x40 for your rimfire.

I have been very impressed by the light gathering, and the 'Ballistic Plex' hold-over points let the .22 get used out to very acceptable ranges.

Certainly, 9x magnification has proved adequate for bunny sized targets within R/F ranges. Click adjustments are pretty crap, but once zeroed, they don't move. The build quality ensures that these scopes do just fine on a .375HH - your intended usage should not be a problem!

All in all, recommended as excellent value for money.

Rgds

IanF :)

i'm sure some people think you can't stalk deer unless you have a pair of Harkila trousers a hand built rifle and Swarovski bino's (been a bit caught up in this myself for a while).

Ezzy - ouch!! Only two out of three, so I'd best order the hand built rifle then ;)

From a psychological perspective there are a whole host of reasons and justifiers (well, 14, which to me seems quite a lot) why people buy items that they don't actually need. In this respect kit for deer stalking is no different to any other items that we purchase (cars, houses, clothing, holidays, food, etc.) and you only have to look at some of the threads on the site, and the justifications that are used, to see why a psychologist could have a field day :D

One of the best stalkers I know uses Leupold scopes on nearly all his rifles and they've never given any trouble.

willie_gunn

I've got a pair of Hawke ED binos 8x43(made in china)that easily outperfrm my Leupy 56mm VXL scope in low light but they don't outperform my S&B 56mm Zenith so i suppose it all comes down to the quality of glass specified in manufacture at the end of the day no matter where its built.I'm not slagging the Leupy off because they are well built and i love the very fine varmint recticule i have,i robbed it from my .17 hmr to get my new 30.06 up and running till i get the money together for another Zenith but its actually proving to be a good deer scope so i might have to think again and save myself a few quid.
Neil

there was nothing wrong with my leupold but the varmint reticle was hard to pick up when lamping otherwise it would still be on my rimfire

chinese manufacture

Chinese manufacturer's as previously mentioned, now have some of the newest & finest machinery & obviously the technical know how in using it, by the way, Airbus have manufacturing facilities out there now, does this mean some aircraft are inherently unsafe?................. the stigma some people attach to stuff from China is in my opinion a hangover from when stuff was poorly made in Korea & places over there in late 70's:rolleyes:

Hi Paul,

Further to Malc's comments - have a look at the Burris Fullfield 3-9 x40 for your rimfire.

I have been very impressed by the light gathering, and the 'Ballistic Plex' hold-over points let the .22 get used out to very acceptable ranges.

Certainly, 9x magnification has proved adequate for bunny sized targets within R/F ranges. Click adjustments are pretty crap, but once zeroed, they don't move. The build quality ensures that these scopes do just fine on a .375HH - your intended usage should not be a problem!

All in all, recommended as excellent value for money.

Rgds

IanF :)
I think Ian may remember a Fullfield accounting for three of his Roe whilst sitting on a .270 :D

Last night I was out waiting for a fox and at 6:20pm it was pretty dark. I was looking at a rabbit at about 120yds through my 10x42 Geovids and the image wasn't much different through my MK4 Tatical Leupold on x8. (4-14x50mm ilum).

Have been in a situation when could see fox through bins but not scope but that is a fact of life.

D

Chinese manufacturer's as previously mentioned, now have some of the newest & finest machinery & obviously the technical know how in using it, by the way, Airbus have manufacturing facilities out there now, does this mean some aircraft are inherently unsafe?................. the stigma some people attach to stuff from China is in my opinion a hangover from when stuff was poorly made in Korea & places over there in late 70's:rolleyes:

Sorry Finnbear but some of the new Chinese stuff is about the worse I have ever come across. In fact it rivals the very poor stuff put out by India and that's saying something. While they can make good quality stuff they just don't seem to care about quality control and ship everything that comes off the line good, bad or indifferent! I have some Chinese optics including a pair of compact Cannon Binos that are very good and a Chinese no name 4x40 scope I brought ................ oh must be about 14 years ago now that's fine but the Chinese made 4.5-14x50AO Nikko Sterling and two Simmons Master series Aetecs were faulty add to that a Tasco 3-9x40E I looked at that fast focuse eye piece actually wobbled about in the tube ....................... well it's a good argument for their needed to tighten up on the QC big time.

They might get their act together as they have done with the electronics but only time will tell and all the time they pump out and ship shoddy stuff it's hurting their reputation and making people very wary.

Back