Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: .308, Viht N135 and Hornady 130gr SP

  1. #1

    .308, Viht N135 and Hornady 130gr SP

    Gents,

    Just starting reloading with the above combination. I've checked the Hornady Handbook and on-line sources and it's not mentioned. Has anyone tried it? If so what load are you using?
    CH

  2. #2

    .308, Viht N135 and Hornady 130gr SP

    39.7-46.7 is Vhitavouri's data for a 130 gr bullet with N135

    This came from the online data off Vhitavouri site
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

    Home | Varminting UK

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    39.7-46.7 is Vhitavouri's data for a 130 gr bullet with N135

    This came from the online data off Vhitavouri site

    Thanks, yes I saw that. This data is for a Lapua HP bullet - same weight, different design. Does the bullet design matter or am I being too fussy?
    CH

  4. #4
    In the absence of data for your particular bullet, you can only go with 'closest match'. And as load data is only ever a guide, go by what it says, be prepared to 'stop early' or even go over the book max, watching for usual signs of excess pressure
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

    Home | Varminting UK

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
    Gents,

    Just starting reloading with the above combination. I've checked the Hornady Handbook and on-line sources and it's not mentioned. Has anyone tried it? If so what load are you using?
    CH
    Nice to see someone thinking outside the box..... or was your usual powder out of stock?

    Be aware that all 'standard make' (Sierra, Speer, and Hornady .308 in 125gr - 130gr) bullets are Varmint bullets).

    Now that that warning's out of the way, my Tikka load is 46.0 grs. N135 for 2940 - 2950 FPS.

    Loads were sooty up to this point, as it's a very short setup at 72.0mm OAL. Lapua or PPU cases made no difference.

    Velocity and pressure rose quite quickly after this point - 47.0grs got 3025 FPS, but this was still safe.

    Hope this helps.....
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Nice to see someone thinking outside the box..... or was your usual powder out of stock?

    Be aware that all 'standard make' (Sierra, Speer, and Hornady .308 in 125gr - 130gr) bullets are Varmint bullets).

    Now that that warning's out of the way, my Tikka load is 46.0 grs. N135 for 2940 - 2950 FPS.

    Loads were sooty up to this point, as it's a very short setup at 72.0mm OAL. Lapua or PPU cases made no difference.

    Velocity and pressure rose quite quickly after this point - 47.0grs got 3025 FPS, but this was still safe.

    Hope this helps.....

    Thanks very much. I've been using Sako 123gr .308 for quite a while and the results have been very good. I like the idea of light for calibre bullets with good short range ballistics.

    This is the first powder I've bought. I'd read that N135, being faster burning, is more suited to lighter bullets. This makes sense to me.

    The bullets, Hornady 130gr SP seem to fit the bill and after discussion with the shop, an internet survey and a thread on SD and few weeks ago established that they would be suitable.

    I'm planning to start at 42gr and work up one grain at a time. I'm using once-fired Sako brass.
    CH

  7. #7
    No problem.

    I've used VN135 in .308 in all .weights including 165-168grs, so it's not limited to the lightweights BTW.

    It's now my standard in Sierra 63gr in .22-250 too.

    I switched to it when the Hodgdon Powder Co. started to jack up the prices of the IMR range they acquired on the cheap. Hodgdon's own powders have always been over priced & are now ridiculously expensive.

    Ignoring powder burn-rate charts (as one should IMO), in these 2 calibres VN135 has proved nearest to IMR 3031 which I've always used. The price of this pretty much matches its' Hodgdon counterparts, so now Vihtavuori gets my business.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

  8. #8
    The 125gn sierra pro hunter aren't varmint bullets if not pushed at crazy velocity.
    Last edited by nicholiath; 23-08-2014 at 18:39.

  9. #9
    I have been using the 125g Sierra pro hunters in my 308 and 30-06 and shot many deer with them out to 300m they preform very well. Using 46g Vit 135 in the 308 and its going well, very flat out to 250m

  10. #10
    The 125-gr Pro Hunter is a sturdy bullet, and makes a wonderful bullet for downloading the .308 and .30-06 for a mild deer load and practice load. It is easy on a semiautomatic rifle, and makes the .30-30 into a nice 200 yard rifle.

Similar Threads

  1. Hornady 130gr SP.
    By Cloudhopper in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 20-09-2014, 19:59
  2. viht n135
    By ziggy in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 17:59
  3. For Sale Hornady .270 ammo 130gr Interlock SST and 130gr Interlock SP
    By bewsher500 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26-03-2013, 11:03
  4. viht n160 with hornady 140gr sp
    By bairn79 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-12-2012, 17:37
  5. .308 130 grain Hornady SP
    By devilishdave in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-07-2010, 21:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •