Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screw cutting and proof house AND BEING CONNED

Screw cutting and proof house AND BEING CONNED

Looking for some advice on what to do, I just bought a Sako 85 from DONALDSONS in fenny stratford MK and he charged me for screw cutting. I asked him about this saying i thought all 2009 onwards came screw cut. No he said but i can get that done for a further 50. I asked if this would void my warranty and he said no one has ever had t claim. Well when the rifle was ready to collect i saw that there was a thread cap in the box and asked if this was from the factory, No Colin said i bought this from jacksons. Not knowing what proofing was at the time of sale off i pipped. I have since found out that there should be a further proof stamp if GMK or any body else has screw cut it, There is only one stamp from the factory, The guy that pointed out that it was a factory screw cut was Mike from Brock & Norris. I have since phoned Colin from the shop and said he will look into it to see if it? This guy has lifted my leg for extra 50 i would rather he asked for for money than con me as i openly told him i was new to the sport. He also tried to con me over so call quite opening butler greeks, I saw this and played along as this i found funny. I have had no response for a week now and not sure what to do next? Your advice would helpful.
    Greg.

the proof house will have a record of who proofed the rifle,and what was proofed.

If the screw cut has been to proof then there should be a stamp under the screw cut.

ATB
    Cam

This is the thread on a factory cut gun.

Write to the shop and ask them to confirm when/where the thread was cut plus when did they get it proofed.If they charging you for something they didn't do then they are in a spot of bother!

regards

If you are 100% right in thinking you have been conned and Donaldsons did not screw cut the rifle themselves then get in touch with GMK who are the main agent for Sako in the UK. If this is true it needs nailing right now.

GMK LTD
    CONCORDE WAY
    SEGENSWORTH NORTH
    FAREHAM
    HANTS PO15 5RL
    GREAT BRITAIN
    Tel: 44-1489-579 999
    Fax: 44-1489-579 937

If you get no joy from GMK (and I think you will as they will not want idiot sub-agents destroying brand credibility and customer loyalty) you should contact Sako in Finland and explain to them what is going on under their banner in the UK.

IF this turns out to be true then the power of numbers on this forum, other forums and the shooting press will very quickly turn into a boycott of the shop in question.

You should also ask if anyone else has bought Sako from Donaldsons of Milton Keynes and if they have had the same treatment.

I would suggest that this is also a matter for your local Trading Standards or whatever they are called now.

Greg

bang (excuse pun) out of order if the shop has done this, i would rather get charged the extra money than be conned . the thing is if the shop has done what you said you will never talk good about the shop and tell everyone you meet about what has happened, it will cost the shop a lot lot more in the long run .

have you blooded the rifle yet

also i will post photos of the paint job when i get a min

...........neil

Greg.
    If you ring GMK with the serial number they should be able to tell you imediatly, because not all Sakos are threded,it depends on the model and calibre,if you look on the Sako web site it will give you all the info you need.
    Chris

Screwcut

Gents

I just purchased one of the last Finlite 75's in 25/06 new from them as that seem to have purchased a job lot from GMK that they are advertising in Gunmart at 1100, they also got it screwcut & charged me 50, which to be honest I was happy with, it has not been proofed & there was no screwcap with the rifle.

I am happy with the rifle & shot 3 fallow with on its first trip into the woods!

Regs Lee

lwcdart
    Screwcut
    Gents

I just purchased one of the last Finlite 75's in 25/06 new from them as that seem to have purchased a job lot from GMK that they are advertising in Gunmart at 1100, they also got it screwcut & charged me 50, which to be honest I was happy with, it has not been proofed & there was no screwcap with the rifle.

I am happy with the rifle & shot 3 fallow with on its first trip into the woods!

Regs Lee
    Hi lee, glad your still knocking the fallow over

Maybe wrong here but am i right in thinking that the rifle(thread) MUST be stamped/proofed before you sell or pass on the rifle and it is your responsibility and so at some point you will be paying again although not many people sell on their 75

Thanks guys, I have let it roll for a while thinking that he would come back to me and say very sorry my mistake here is your 50 back. His son and him alll seemend nice to deal with other than the leg lifting exercise. I was also introduced to the shop through a friend who has over the years bought the shop plenty of custom. Its a shame that this has happend and i will try one more time before going further. The rifle has yet to have its first kill, my friend who will be taking me on my first deer kill his mum is very ill. So i will have to wait a bit longer, Unless any of you guys want to take me out?
    I have fired it now forty or so times but only on land where i have permission to shoot but there is no deer. It shoots140 grain loads at 0.360 groups at 100 yards with Brock & Norris loads. So itchig to get out and do the real deal.
    I will let you all know what happens over the next few days with the shop saga.
    Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by cervushunter View Post
    Maybe wrong here but am i right in thinking that the rifle(thread) MUST be stamped/proofed before you sell or pass on the rifle and it is your responsibility and so at some point you will be paying again although not many people sell on their 75[/INDENT]
    Yes you are wrong.

You only need to reproof if you alter the structural integrity of the firearm, threading a barrel does not do this; I believe it was Jackson rifles that took the case to court.

This does not stop gunshops/proof houses telling you it must be proofed, this will be to cover their arses or an opportunity to make another few quid on the deal. Same with moderators, no legal requirement to have them proofed.

ATB

Tahr