Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ashdown forest

Ashdown forest

Anyone know what the deer numbers are like around Ashdown forest area.

Did a quick google and there are supposed to be fallow, roe, munty and sika but the greatest number being fallow

Quote Originally Posted by ELMER FUDD View Post
    Anyone know what the deer numbers are like around Ashdown forest area.

Did a quick google and there are supposed to be fallow, roe, munty and sika but the greatest number being fallow
    i think that's about right. I think there's a lot of info about the area in terms of RTAs involving deer that will support the species that are present. Fallow are definitely the most numerous and there's a lot of fallow all over that general area. Interestingly G. Kenneth Whitehead notes that there was also a small population of reds (thought to be nine deer) in the early 1960s although these almost certainly subsequently died out.

I used to stalk fallow about 15 miles west of Ashdown Forest and we used to see the occasional sika stag that apparently came from the East, which puts them fairly close to Ashdown Forest. We also had good roe numbers and a few munties.
    Last edited by paul k; 23-08-2014 at 21:27.

I think it's the A22 where all the deer get into collisions with vehicles.

Been talking with a landowner this afternoon who says one of his fields which is surrounded by the woods is over run with deer

A couple of my colleagues drive through the forest and surrounds on their comute and say they see deer most days if they're driving through at dawn/dusk. When I drive through at night it's not uncommon to see whole herds of fallow in the road. I'd love to get some stalking up that way.

Do they do commercial stalking there or is it kept in hand by the owners?

I'm going next Saturday stalking for fallow in Ashdown Forest , i'll let you know how i get on

Once I have a tour of the land and observed the deer's habits I will be setting up high seats so should be up and running by the rut.

Which part of the forest are you in? The area surrounding Kingstanding literally has herds of deer often a 100 or more at dusk. The forest hasn't been controlled for years and years due to a poorly managed cull many years ago were no-one wanted the carcasses and they were left to rot where they where shot. The public went up in arms about the "massacre" and the has not been a formal cull since.

I can attest that the things are a menace...hitting one broadside at 60mph on a motorbike wasn't fun!
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

There will be others who stalk around the forest who may have different views but the fallow from Pippingford Park are probably the source of a lot of the RTAs. The owner was not keen on shooting them. I think someone is now culling a few of them but the numbers were very high a few years ago. The Sika come from Framfield, part of an escaped herd Manchurian.

get into them elmer. its not like your short of fallow where you stalk now. how have you been doing so far this season.