whats the best way to smooth off my Bolt .243 Howa

Tulloch

hey guys

recently bought a brand new Howa 1500 .243 rifle , bolt is proving to be a little stiff due to the manufacture paint on (I Think)
any ideas on what is best to use to take this off without damaging the bolt??

regards

Tulloch

I always find Ceracoat to be a bugger in the action however it smoothens out with time and use.
Stainless polish such as PEEK work quite well and are not so aggressive. When running in the bolt with polish make sure to clean old polish off often in between and when done clean the action, chamber, barrel well before shooting.
Peek will remove only extreme small amounts of metal.
edi

Was it like it in the shop? Is it worth taking it back?

I am not familiar with the gun and I am a blacksmith not a gunsmith so value my advice as much as you pay for it as they say :)

I had a stiff bolt on my Sako 22LR and found that rubbing the high points (the bits that were shiny through contact with one another) with a pencil, put just enough graphite on to make it turn easier.

Graphite is an excellent high pressure lubricant and is not sticky so it does not attract dust like oil/grease.

Alan

I always find Ceracoat to be a bugger in the action however it smoothens out with time and use.
Stainless polish such as PEEK work quite well and are not so aggressive. When running in the bolt with polish make sure to clean old polish off often in between and when done clean the action, chamber, barrel well before shooting.
Peek will remove only extreme small amounts of metal.
edi
Thank you , its just doing my head in as quick cycling of the rounds can be a little fiddly as that last few mil to pull the next round into the chamber can be a little stiff so if your not thinking about it properly you can put the bolt back without collecting a round ,,, happened to me twice now thats why I am asking for the advice :)

ty

Tull

Tull short stroking a bolt is fairly common with many shooters, nothing really to do with the newness of the rifle. I see it a lot on ranges where the presumption is always a misfire but in the majority of cases is only that the shooter has failed to pull the bolt back sufficiently far enough to pick up a fresh round from the magazine. I do it myself occasionally when using my A-bolt but never the Sako for some reason.
Saying that most new rifles are a little stiff and the application of a SMALL amount of suitable lubrication in the right place often helps. Basically wipe on and then wipe off. Use the rifle and it will run in and become much easier. A good excuse to get as much practise in as possible isn't it.

Tull short stroking a bolt is fairly common with many shooters, nothing really to do with the newness of the rifle. I see it a lot on ranges where the presumption is always a misfire but in the majority of cases is only that the shooter has failed to pull the bolt back sufficiently far enough to pick up a fresh round from the magazine. I do it myself occasionally when using my A-bolt but never the Sako for some reason.
Saying that most new rifles are a little stiff and the application of a SMALL amount of suitable lubrication in the right place often helps. Basically wipe on and then wipe off. Use the rifle and it will run in and become much easier. A good excuse to get as much practise in as possible isn't it.

Thank you bud, its funny short stroking is never an issue with my A-bolt .270 lol but granted I was just wanting to short cut the run in process lol

well a long time ago i sat with a rifle watching the telly with some fine grinding past and a bag O crisps working the bolt back and forth with a small coating of paste.

gob done.

needles to say don't do this with the wife at home.

regards

bob.

well a long time ago i sat with a rifle watching the telly with some fine grinding past and a bag O crisps working the bolt back and forth with a small coating of paste.

gob done.

needles to say don't do this with the wife at home.

regards

bob.

Now this just sounds sooooooooooooo wrong lol

jewellers rouge and some spare time working the bolt
just make sure you clean it all off and out of every crevice after you are done

Back