30.06 rifle purchase

rnjc

Morning

I'm looking to get a 30.06 as a good all round rifle with a budget for the rifle itself of about £1000. Anyone have any good ideas on what to get?

Thanks

Second hand sako theres a 75 on guntrader in bromsgrove / Worcestershire at shooting supplies that looks nice and feels good

My buddy has a Tikka T-3 Lite in 30-06 that is a sweet shooter. He has a Leupold 4X on top and shoots very small groups while having a rifle he can field all day with little fatigue.~Muir

What are the new Winchester mod 70s like? I had a play and it felt good but didn't fire it. Nice FN quality control now.

David.

What are the new Winchester mod 70s like? I had a play and it felt good but didn't fire it. Nice FN quality control now.

David.

IMO, the current stainless synthetic mod 70's are the best factory built hunting rifle on the market. They go for about $1400 new down here at the moment, so that should be well under 1000 stirling.

Cheers Sharkey

IMO, the current stainless synthetic mod 70's are the best factory built hunting rifle on the market. They go for about $1400 new down here at the moment, so that should be well under 1000 stirling.

Cheers Sharkey

X 2 , I was looking at one this weekend that a friend of mine picked up . Like Kalahari says , their quality control has improved a lot over the previous M-70's . Perry's rifle is clambered in 270 Win and , from the targets he showed me an honest 1 moa rifle . I do like the old model triggers , but to be honest the new triggers are really nice . I think there might be a Feather-Weight M-70 in my future . That being said , a Tikka T-3 in 06 would be an excellent choice too . It is a lot less money so you'd have more cash to invest in glass . What ever you choose , the 30-06 is always a good choice .

AB

Morning

I'm looking to get a 30.06 as a good all round rifle with a budget for the rifle itself of about £1000. Anyone have any good ideas on what to get?

Thanks

Just got a 30-06 myself a couple of weeks ago. I got a remington 783 synthetic stock and im using federal 150gr and very happy with the price of it. Would recommend it to anyone

You shot anything with it yet Scott?

Aye . I christened it last saturday on a nice buck just itching to hit the big boys with it but only seeing hinds just now. Very pleased at how little the meat damage was and its a smooth pull

My oldest .30-06 is a 1903 Springfield, made in 1918. My newest is a Tikka T3 Lite SS, which shoots wonderfully with a Burris 3-9x40 scope. I have six others.

If you like synthetic, get the Tikka T3 Lite. If you like wood, get a used Sako 75 or Winchester Model 70. If you like lighter, well-balanced rifles in walnut, look at a newer Winchester Model 70 Featherweight or older Remington 700. I have been shooting my first .30-06, a Remington 700 ADL with open and Lyman receiver sights, since 1967, and love it more every year.

My oldest .30-06 is a 1903 Springfield, made in 1918. My newest is a Tikka T3 Lite SS, which shoots wonderfully with a Burris 3-9x40 scope. I have six others.

If you like synthetic, get the Tikka T3 Lite. If you like wood, get a used Sako 75 or Winchester Model 70. If you like lighter, well-balanced rifles in walnut, look at a newer Winchester Model 70 Featherweight or older Remington 700. I have been shooting my first .30-06, a Remington 700 ADL with open and Lyman receiver sights, since 1967, and love it more every year.

I have 6 or 7 Aught Sixes myself. A couple of Springfields, a Winchester-build 1917 Enfield, a BAR, a Winchester M70, two Savages and a Model 1895 Winchester from the 1930's.

A man can't have too many 30-06's.~Muir

I have 6 or 7 Aught Sixes myself. A couple of Springfields, a Winchester-build 1917 Enfield, a BAR, a Winchester M70, two Savages and a Model 1895 Winchester from the 1930's.

Under the new ITAR guidelines , you're only allowed one Springfield . Fortunately for you , my Springfield slot is open . I will PM you my mailing address ........your welcome
PS send the nicer of the two, and maybe clean it.......properly

AB

There are just so many nice sporting rifles you can build off a 1903 Springfield, in addition to needing a 1903 from WWI, a 1903A3 from WWII, a P-17 to go with the P-14, and if you are a real crank, like me, a .30-03, a couple of Garands, before you can even get to the commercial rifles.

Shame it is not that popular cartridge in UK. Looking what's available on Guntrader I would have a look at that Tikka M695..

A BAR just ain't a BAR unless is is a variation of a M1918 BAR....:doh:

SS

Back