Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lovex in 45/70

Lovex in 45/70

Hi anyone tried the above powder with 405g bullets in 45/70

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboblincs2 View Post
    Hi anyone tried the above powder with 405g bullets in 45/70
    We don't see Lovex powders here in the US so I went to their web site and looked under 45-70 as it is one of my long time favorite cartridges. I must admit, their selections of powders is low (2) and performance is geared towards black powder strength weapons. If you have a Marlin or other higher strength modern weapon and want performance, I'd find another brand. What are you shootng? I have Siamese Mauser bolt action in 45-70 that I love. Accurate with everything from .457" round balls to 550 grain lead gascheck cast bullets. Kills deer like a bolt of lightning.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    We don't see Lovex powders here in the US so I went to their web site and looked under 45-70 as it is one of my long time favorite cartridges. I must admit, their selections of powders is low (2) and performance is geared towards black powder strength weapons. If you have a Marlin or other higher strength modern weapon and want performance, I'd find another brand. What are you shootng? I have Siamese Mauser bolt action in 45-70 that I love. Accurate with everything from .457" round balls to 550 grain lead gascheck cast bullets. Kills deer like a bolt of lightning.~Muir
    Don't you just love how he's done just about everything we would wish to do, any thoughts for a bolt of lightening for my 45-60 with a 340gn bullet into my Ulberti 1876 for deer, I have Varget, H4831, R22, H380, and can get Ramshot locally here in the U.K. deerwarden.

I have used Accurate 5744 in the past for medium loads under a 405gr cast worked ok. The Lovex equivalent is D060.

Also used it for reduced loads in the .270.

The house down the road is for sale; come on over.

That is a nice rifle you have there. I have the 1873 in 44-40 that has yet to see a round down the tube. (long story)
    Unfortunately, the 1876 isn't exactly a bank vault in the strength category and need to be kept at PB pressures. That doesn't diminish it's killing ability as I've shot deer with my Trapdoor Springfield sporter loaded to black powder pressures and they fell over dead. The stiffly loaded Siamese Mauser, by comparison, slaps them to the ground!

Funny you should mention H4831. A few decades back A friend and I both purchased like-new, original, 1884 Trapdoor Springfield 45-70 rifles from the gun shop we worked at. I hate dealing with black powder residue in cartridge guns, and I don't care for small charges of light burning powder, either, so one of my favorite 45-70 loads became one from a book called "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters. It was about 50 grains of H4831 using a 400 grain bullet. Black powder pressures and very, very accurate. OF course, in a straight walled case, H4831 gives more of a 'whoosh!' than "ka-boom!" but the guys at the range didn't seem to know that. When I mentioned that I had a case full of H4831 in that Trapdoor one guy called me an f-ing idiot and insisted I wait to shoot until he gathered up all his gear from the adjacent bench and got a safe distance away.

That story told....

I just called a buddy of mine, Jack, who has an 1876 and he said that there is great discussion amongst cowboy reenactors who use these 1873 and 1876 rifles about the use of smokeless powders at all. Because of the toggle link design they are always considered to be black powder strength should be used with black powder or substitutes like Hodgdon's Pyrodex -which I used in my Snider 577, btw.

So I guess your 1876 is in limbo of sorts. If you bought that house down the road we could saunter down along the Big Horn River for whitetails and your 1876 would be right at home.~Muir

Muir, sounds like heaven hunting whitetails along the Big Horn river, you've already promised me the non P.C. tour of the Big Horn battle site, was in Montana in May for a coyote hunt that was a disaster unfortunately. There's quite a few loads on the CasCity.com forum using reduced loads with fillers such as toilet paper and half inch square poly Filler to reduce unburned powder, Ill try those with a puff Lon filler and a reduced load of of H4831. Have to say I don't like the holy black cleaning issues either, off to dream about hunting white tail deer. deerwarden.

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    Muir, sounds like heaven hunting whitetails along the Big Horn river, you've already promised me the non P.C. tour of the Big Horn battle site, was in Montana in May for a coyote hunt that was a disaster unfortunately. There's quite a few loads on the CasCity.com forum using reduced loads with fillers such as toilet paper and half inch square poly Filler to reduce unburned powder, Ill try those with a puff Lon filler and a reduced load of of H4831. Have to say I don't like the holy black cleaning issues either, off to dream about hunting white tail deer. deerwarden.
    I would avoid the toilety paper. I don't like fillers at all** which is why I'm using the Pyrodex black powder substitute in my 577. (and my 1859 Sharps combustible cartridge gun as well) It is less gritty than black and non errosive/corrosive and cleans up easily. Can you get it in the UK??

Additionally, you might want to ask Hodgdon's about Trail Boss in the 1876. I think it generates too high pressures but they don't specify model restrictions, only saying that if you don't see the cartridge you load simply load to the base of the bullet and shoot. In a straight walled case this might fine but I've noticed that in some bottle necked cases Trail Boss generates almost jacketed bullet pressures. Makes me leery.

The whitetail crop is going to be good this year....~Muir

(** An exception is corn meal which I use in the afore mentioned Sharps.)

I was at Bisley yesterday using my Marlin 1895 (long barrel) on a club day. 100m Century range and was grouping 2". Loads were between 30.6 and 31.8gn Lovex D060 with 405gn heads.

Andy

Thanks for the replies, I'm currently using 49g of Vhit N133 with good results, but, Vhit is nearly 80/kilo, Lovex is 30/kilo, hence the enquiries. I'm shooting a Marlin 1895 SBL.

Can I ask force64/Andy where he got the data from or are these his loads he has worked up.

Thanks

Jim

I'm using the same rifle as you and found 30 grains was the sweet spot in mine. I have never used any filler even when using 12 grains of Unique. Nice rifles. The best lead bullets I have found for it is the H&N copper washed ones used with a very small amount of crimp as they have no gas check. If using as single loads I don't crimp at all.