Thread: What have you taken with the 6,5x55?

What have you taken with the 6,5x55?

In my big progress of finding my right caliber, I think I have settled on the 6,5X55swede. Now im just wondering what you guys on here have hunted with the caliber. How does it work on roe? What about wild boar and red deer and fallow?

Whats the biggest animal you have taken with it, and how did it turn out?

I have killed large mule deer and whitetail deer with mine. My ex-brother in law was a professional guide on an elk preserve in northern New Mexico and he used a mannlicher-stocked 6.5x55 with 154 and 160 grain bullets to put down the (north American) elk that rich Texas oil men would wound. He killed half a dozen large bulls in 3 years using it.~Muir

A couple of White-Tails ( 250 pounds approx. ) , one Mule Deer and a cow Elk . A very old friend of mine has used his on everything for over 30 years . He has taken more deer than I can remember with it , about 5 or 6 bull Elk and at least 10 to 15 Moose . He has also taken quite a few Black Bears with the 6.5X55 , he shot one bear about 4 years ago that weighed over 400 pounds live weight . In short , if you do your part , the 6.5X55 is capable of taking most game we have . I'm sure it would take Grizzlies and other large bears , but it wouldn't be my first choice , although I did work with an Inuit guy who used a Swedish issue M-38 to shoot polar bears back in the 1980's . For the game you've mentioned , it will do the job perfectly .

AB

I shoot a Mauser M03 in 6.5.x 55. The rifle is unmoderated (i'm a bit of a traditionalist in that respect) and shoots like a dream. It's a beautiful rifle. The majority of my stalking is done at woodland reds which are generally quite large animals by most standards. Never felt under-gunned or restricted in any other way by the calibre or my particular rifle. I shoot homeloaded 129 Gr SSTs from Lapua brass. Felt recoil is very manageable. End results are extremely dependable. Having used the 6.5 x 55 for many years now I can never understand those who continually pursue the bigger bang of larger or more ferocious calibres. The sweet shooting and precision possible with the 6.5 x 55 is a winner in my book. If I could only have one rifle, my Mauser in 6.5 x 55 would be an easy choice for me. Can't praise the rifle or the calibre highly enough.

Red Stags and Hinds, Fallow Bucks and Does, Roe Bucks and Does and Wild Boar.
    Works fine on Roe deer. Largest animal so far was a (UK) west country Red Stag and it dropped on the spot
    I reload my ammunition and have found 120 gr to 160 gr bullets are all effective, particularly the 140 gr Sierra Game King rounds I use now.

It's always interesting hearing peoples' views on their calibres but from what I've seen they'll all get the job done on deer and wild boar in UK so I'd buy the rifle I could shoot the best with.

Quote Originally Posted by awmc View Post
    I reload my ammunition and have found 120 gr to 160 gr bullets are all effective, particularly the 140 gr Sierra Game King rounds I use now.
    I'm with you on that one, Brother. Thor's Hammer from my FN 6.5x55. I punched four large deer with that load year before last (two mule deer, two whitetails) and never needed a second shot. I never even cycled the bolt to chamber a fresh round. I just knew they were dead and going down at the shot.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by awmc View Post
    Red Stags and Hinds, Fallow Bucks and Does, Roe Bucks and Does and Wild Boar.
    Works fine on Roe deer. Largest animal so far was a (UK) west country Red Stag and it dropped on the spot

It's always interesting hearing peoples' views on their calibres but from what I've seen they'll all get the job done on deer and wild boar in UK so I'd buy the rifle I could shoot the best with.
    +1 on this if possible find other calibres to shoot before buying a local rifle club may have members who will allow you to try this .I have shot quite a few different ones over the years and now almost exclusively use 6.5 for stalking I could have saved a few grand if I had come across 6.5 years eailier.