Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	46127

Quote Originally Posted by SL6.5 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reprise_de_forge.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	46127
    It would have to be in the hands of a very skilled (brave) man to deliver a humane strike wouln't it
    Last edited by EMcC; 24-08-2014 at 18:28.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    That will be really humane won't it
    In the unfortunate circumstance, where a wounded boar needs to be quickly despatched when surrounded by the hounds and beaters, Yes! In exactly the same sense that one might use a knife to kill a wounded deer, which is advised in "Best Practice Guides" and would be as any humane hunter should wish, if confronted by such an emergency. The difference being that most deer stalkers only carry gralloching knives, rather then purpose designed daggers. Or am I wrong to detect notes of heavy sarcasm in your post? I'm sorry if the bug eyed emoticon has given me the wrong impression of your actual meaning. Maybe you should watch the rest of this series of photos unfold before getting yourself annoyed at me though.

In the unfortunate circumstance, where a wounded boar needs to be quickly despatched when surrounded by the hounds and beaters, Yes!
    I take it as you never saw a wounded wild boar charging... My dad was left with scars for life after approaching a wounded beast cornered by hounds and trying to put it out of its misery with his 9,3x74R...

Quote Originally Posted by Shootgun View Post
    I take it as you never saw a wounded wild boar charging... My dad was left with scars for life after approaching a wounded beast cornered by hounds and trying to put it out of its misery with his 9,3x74R...
    I'll take it that you've never seen how a wounded boar can be prevented from harming a hunter? and I have to say, I didn't expect this hostility from fellow hunters especially with such unfounded remarks. What's that all about?

I was led to believe in medieval times Boar hunting was in such a way as for the hunter to stand his ground and have the Boar driven onto the lance being held forward by the hunter.
    I can only imagine that would be when it would kick off, with both man and beast rolling around on the ground with all hell breaking loose.
    I have seen dogs surrounding a Boar and making things difficult but in most circumstances, the beaters stand back and let one of them go forward either with a pistol or other weapon.
    It would take a much braver man than me to even consider using a pig sticker - not agile enough now anyway .
    I've changed my first post as I didn't realise it would be taken as hostile, sorry
    Last edited by EMcC; 24-08-2014 at 18:30.

I'll take it that you've never seen how a wounded boar can be prevented from harming a hunter? and I have to say, I didn't expect this hostility from fellow hunters especially with such unfounded remarks. What's that all about?
    There is no hostility here, i would rather call it awarness...
    I shot my first wild boar aged 13, and probably couple of hundreds since, and i saw all sort of wounded boar reactions...

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I was led to believe in medieval times Boar hunting was in such a way as for the hunter to stand his ground and have the Boar driven onto the lance being held forward by the hunter.
    I can only imagine that would be when it would kick off, with both man and beast rolling around on the ground with all hell breaking loose.
    I have seen dogs surrounding a Boar and making things difficult but in most circumstances, the beaters stand back and let one of them go forward either with a pistol or other weapon.
    It would take a much braver man than me to even consider using a pig sticker - not agile enough now anyway
    Sorry if my choice of term (boar sticker) has confused you. It's not a lance in the photo, but those can and do have their place too. The photo actually shows an early stage in the forging of a new dagger. By the way, bravery shouldn't really be required, but agility might be. Safe practice; with good men, good dogs and good ropes make the use of a suitable knife the appropriate choice. Walking around in a wood, with just a gun, looking for a wounded boar is not really a very good idea, people get scarred for life doing that sort of thing, or worse.
    Last edited by SL6.5; 24-08-2014 at 18:50.

My brother killed a boar in Louisiana with a knife. Said it was an... experience.~Muir

As I'm sure you're aware it is common practice in New Zealand for hunters to hunt boar with just dogs and a knife. Few carry a rifle. The dogs are trained to bail and hold the pig - distracting it while the hunter sneaks in and dispatches the pig with a well placed 'pig sticker'. The dogs tend to get beaten up but there are surprisingly few hunters injured
    Cheers,
    Hayden