Scotland advise?

Cootmeurer

I will be flying in to Glasgow in October to stalk with Sikamalc. I have a few questions if some one would be so kind to answer.

1st - I arrive in Glasgow, while my brother will be arriving into Edinburgh. We are looking for a good meet up point on the way north to Inverness. The map seems to suggest The Bannockburn area where the motor ways join. Can anyone recommend a specific location (especially one that might have a good breakfast, as I will have been on a flight all night)? Ideally the meet up would be easy to find.

2nd - for those that have stalked with JayB and Malcolm, are there any other small things to bring that don't show up on the list Malcolm sends out.

3rd - where is the most convenient Tesco (or other store) to stop and big up a few liquid consumables?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Tesco's Inverness, carry on up the A9 look for the Inverness Airport sign turning east Tesco's mile from the A9 .Wf1

Drive to J10 on the M9 motorway and head into the Stirling road its called Drip Road. There is a Sainsburys there that does a large breakfast until 11.30am and you can stock up with wreck the hoose juice and food there.
PS.. A great pot of tea.

Bannockburn services is an easy place to meet and get a bite. Assume you are heading up via Perth in which case there is a supermarket just down from the Inveralmond roundabout, Perth.

Hi Curtis,

For supplies the best place is the large Tesco's off the A9 outside Inverness. As you approach Inverness you will see a turning off to the left signposted airport, turn off here and it will take you to a large roundabout with the A9 over the top of it. Take the 3rd turning and onto the next roundabout and you will see the large Tesco's on your right.

You can purchase whatever you like for personal use there, and also I would advise to fuel up there as it is much cheaper. From there I am about 55 miles away and I believe you already have the directions. I will be down in Inverness to pick up the other clients from Finland on the Sunday morning so call me on the mobile and we can hopefully latch up.

Any problems call me on the mobile or the lodge landline. See you soon.

Sikamalc

Drive to J10 on the M9 motorway and head into the Stirling road its called Drip Road. There is a Sainsburys there that does a large breakfast until 11.30am and you can stock up with wreck the hoose juice and food there.
PS.. A great pot of tea.

What he said, also there's a McDonalds next door if that's more your taste and a tesco just over the hill.

Thanks for the good advice.

Red-Dot, I had never heard your term for booze, and I must say I am now busy cleaning my evening libation OFF my screen I was laughing so hard.

Cyrus, thanks but no thanks on the McD's! We export that toxic refuse around the world as a form of stealth warfare, why would I want to avail myself to it? Daughter spoke highly of Scottish Breakfast, claimed it was the only breakfast better than an English Fry Up.

If you are both driving it is probably as easy to meet at Broxden services in Perth as it will save you extra mileage/time, head into Perth on the main road from Broxden an there is a Tesco or Sainsburys that I think does brekkie and several cafe's in Perth itself.

The big garden centres like Dobbies if there is one in Perth also do good breakfasts now for reasonable money.

If you arrive early you can nip into Bushwear to pass the time and buy an extra set of waterproofs as there is a high probability that you will need lots of them up here in October ;).

Last edited:
Any or all of the above but I would say make sure you have a sat nav, a TomTom or similar.
Not because I doubt your navigational skill but because you may be tired and it helps to have your destination set and get in driving directions.
Also, the A9 here has a reputation as a problem road. The only problem I find is folk getting impatient and doing crazy overtakes.
That and the fact that on some sections of the dualled parts you cannot see the other carriageway so it can be easy to forget whether you are on a dual or single part of the road.
Have a good and safe trip.
PS.. remember we drive on the right side of the road..you guys drive on the wrong side :)

PS.. remember we drive on the right side of the road..you guys drive on the wrong side :)

For the sake of clarity and not wanting your trip to start with a bang as it were ! What PF is saying is that we drive on the left hand side, which, whilst you are in the UK is the correct side. :doh:

Just a bit north of Bannockburn services - which are terrible - take the next exit - the A84 Calender exit and about 1/2 a mile is a big Country Side centre with a Cattle Auction house, a very good fishing tackle shop and a good cafe.

Further up,the road at Perth is Bushwear or on the A9 is the house of bruar which does a very good breakfast - a couple of pounds more than a greasy spoon, but so much better.

Thanks for the continued good advice.

Dont worry about the driving, left side-right side, that is an adjustment I have made without a problem. Now, if there was one thing I would change it is all the roundabouts. I swear it seems that some roads have one very 1/8 mile. Not sure why you even have 4th or 5th gears, never got past 3rd before downshifting and entering another roundabout.

What is this "bush wear" of which you speak? Sort of a Scottish Cabelas, or my high end like a Scottish Orvis? I also like the thought of a tackle shop. I purchased some nice floats and snells years ago and still have them - much better than our standard light tackle fair.

If you can pick up Haig Pinch in duty free your side. Not available in the country of origin, you will make friends for life when you get here.

I will be flying in to Glasgow in October to stalk with Sikamalc. I have a few questions if some one would be so kind to answer.

1st - I arrive in Glasgow, while my brother will be arriving into Edinburgh. We are looking for a good meet up point on the way north to Inverness. The map seems to suggest The Bannockburn area where the motor ways join. Can anyone recommend a specific location (especially one that might have a good breakfast, as I will have been on a flight all night)? Ideally the meet up would be easy to find.

2nd - for those that have stalked with JayB and Malcolm, are there any other small things to bring that don't show up on the list Malcolm sends out.

3rd - where is the most convenient Tesco (or other store) to stop and big up a few liquid consumables?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Meet in Perth Broxden services , thats the junction point of coming North.. if you guys are driving which I presume you are in regards to it , you can pick up supplies in the ASDA on the road out of perth , just follow the M9 to the A9 roundabout but instead of heading North head into Perth follow that road for around half a mile and you will come to a big ASDA and Macd's, then after that it is a straight run to Inverness.

The other option is to meet up in Dunkeld, it's only a few minutes north of Perth and is a nice small town with the river Tay running by the main street. It is literally 2 minutes off the A9 and there are no complex directions required - just turn off at the Dunkeld sign and drive to the far end of the main street, crossing the bridge over the Tay, for car parking. I like Howies Cafe on the main street for some food though they don't open until 11 so might not suit but there are lots of options plus it is nice to eat in a nice village setting and then take a walk down to the river to see what the water is like and if anyone is getting any fish. Stopping somewhere with roundabouts and motorways and shopping centres doesn't appeal to me.

Back