Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a decent smock

Recommend a decent smock

Can anyone recommend a decent smock? Really like the harkila met so smock but cannot justify £300 for it!!!
    Any recommendations??

Deer hunter tempest is good value for money........
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Rivers West...... Field Pro - waterproof, solid, dependable, kit carrier, good big hood, silent.........can be a bit 'boil in the bag' if you're tabbing in warmish weather - I did a lot of beating in mine without over-heating over the winter. Good for high seat work, I'm a 42" chest size and I can layer enough under a Large for the coldest weather and there's only been a couple of days too hot to wear it up a seat. Might just replace it with an XL if it ever wears out.... and I bought this one secondhand.

Hill Pro a bit lighter in weight than the Field Pro, lined to make on/off easier, pit zips and about 4" longer than the Field Pro.

The grey brown colour is very neutral - very impressed with that.

On Mull on a very wet February day, the stalker and I were wearing one of each and neither of the jackets let in any wet stuff in over 8 hours of being out in it...... and we left puddles on the cafe floor (Apologies for that).

The NGO had them on offer but there're a few on fleabay at a good price, Bushwear had the Ranger jacket version on offer too but might have sold out.

Fizz
    Last edited by fizzbangwhallop; 25-08-2014 at 11:02.

I got the rivers west hill pro for 80quid from Swillington's ebay shop, its actually feally good.
    ďThere's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened. But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at.Ē
    Johnny Cash

Mul surplus DPM or MTP smock. Ideal for stalking, great pockets, most breathable that you'll get, relatively waterproof if waterproofing washed into it, can be worn with a mil surplus gore-tex layer underneath it for complete waterproofness so gives you a clothing "system" and £10 from ebay. Even if you have doubts you'd be mad not to give it a try for a few quid plus if you don't like it you can stick it back on ebay.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

For 15+ years I have had a Snowsled Classic Ventile smock and has withstood high levels of above, skiing, mountaineering, para glider, stalking and sailing. It's been used most weekends. Still not much wrong with it, but very frayed at the edges and been repaired a few times. It has been some pretty severe weather. They are not warm, rather they act as a shell. Mine is a russet brown colour - roe deer coloured and actually works pretty well. Ventile is a cotton fabric, very tightly woven, breaths well and when gets slightly damp, fibres swell and keep out the rain. But they are now quite expensive. Classic Smock | Polar Expedition Rescue Equipment, Pulks, Sleds, Tents, Clothing. Mine was an early version with a zip down to your belly button level with two large chest pockets. When working hard easy to vent, and also enough to stuff gloves, binoculars etc inside to keep warm when not needed.

I have replaced it with Bergans Morgedal - Bergans Morgedal Anorak - Dark Khaki, Outdoor Coats and Jackets. I have mine in Red for mountain / skiing use and really pleased with it so far. It has a pouch pocket, which means it doesn't have quite as long a zip, so may be a bit of an issue in venting it when working hard. I want a dedicated coat and it will go on aeroplanes so I don't want it stinking of deer, contaminated with powder residues etc - hence the red.

For stalking I have got a Deerhunter Game Bonded Fleece Anorak : deerhunter-game-bonded-fleece-anorak : Bushwear - Outdoor clothing shooting and stalking equipment
    . First impressions are also good, although it does need another pocket to zip keys, mobile etc into. But for just over £50 it's very good, but it is a bit warm for summer use. I can't help feeling I will be getting a Bergens in Olive green at some point.

You actually can't do much better than the current issue MTP combat jacket. For as little as £35 in a surplus store, very hard to beat.

At the other end of the spectrum, Harkila Pro Hunter is great - though far too heavy for summer/autumn use.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Mul surplus DPM or MTP smock. Ideal for stalking, great pockets, most breathable that you'll get, relatively waterproof if waterproofing washed into it, can be worn with a mil surplus gore-tex layer underneath it for complete waterproofness so gives you a clothing "system" and £10 from ebay. Even if you have doubts you'd be mad not to give it a try for a few quid plus if you don't like it you can stick it back on ebay.

Couldn't agree more DPM/MTP is the way to go and even though I have worn it for years the above recommendation of wearing the Gore-Tex liner underneath ( I always wore it outside the smock.... ) was not something I had though of until the above poster educated me thanks fella.......

Thanks for the help guys, I'm looking along the lines of a swanndri

Nomad, but again pricey.

George.