Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hampshire Variation so slow ...

Hampshire Variation so slow ...

Why are Hampshire so slow on issuing Variations ive been waiting nealy 7 mounts !

I swear Hampshire police firearms are just not fit for purpose

things have slipped down hill again by the look of it we all thought things would get a lot better when they changed the people running the department. go and see your local mp that allways works

Currently at 9.5 weeks waiting for mine, the previous 2 variations took 6 months and 7 months. By the time I get it back I usually need another one.

Back in the early 1980s when I first started they were quite efficient, then things went downhill. I can't understand why it hasn't been outsourced to G4S or Serco by now.

I suppose you could look at it as a safe storage facility for your FAC..

Dorset aren't much better!

In their defence they are chronically under-resourced and under staffed and are swimming against a tide of cut backs, staff sickness (thro "Stress") and increased bureaucracy.

Doesn't help us though!

Have you made a formal complaint and copied it to the police and crime commissioner?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

They have gone down hill very quickly and significantly in the first half of this year; my renewal was done in a matter of days back in January, whereas a variation I put in back in early June (along with a covering letter they suggested I write after speaking to them - I wanted it for a new target rifle for a specific comp in early August) was a very different experience...

Six weeks later I got on the phone to ask where it was to be told very politely by a nice young lady that there were now only two staff working in the office so things were taking a little longer. I explained my frustration to her calmly and requested that if it was possible in any way I'd be grateful if they could deal with my request as quickly as possible. My FAC was returned with variation completed a couple of days later.

I think it is a case of them being under resourced and this corresponding with the 3 year to 5 year swap peak in paperwork.

Call them tomorrow and ask them politely when you can expect the FAC back, you might say something like I am hoping to go stalking shortly and need to produce evidence of my FAC, or I am running low on ammo and can't buy any more without the FAC (can't buy primers to reload either etc.).

Good luck.

G4S!!!!! You don't want that! All details in the hands of a possibly unreliable private company. We got them and it's 12 weeks for a variation.
    Quote Originally Posted by M275 View Post
    Currently at 9.5 weeks waiting for mine, the previous 2 variations took 6 months and 7 months. By the time I get it back I usually need another one.

Back in the early 1980s when I first started they were quite efficient, then things went downhill. I can't understand why it hasn't been outsourced to G4S or Serco by now.

I suppose you could look at it as a safe storage facility for your FAC..
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

I've just received my FAC back from a one-for-one variation (or more accurately a several-for-several because there were various changes).

74 days in all, which isn't great, but is better than I've seen in the past.

I have to say that they have been really helpful when I've contacted them. Also, I've never once in over 30 years had an error on the paperwork received, where it has had to be returned for correction.

So perhaps they're not that bad, or is it just the warm glow you get when it drops on the doormat..?

Just spoken to two members of our club tonight, and both have had variations in for three months.