Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac Fawns

Muntjac Fawns

I have been stalking muntjac regular for last eight years and I shoot probably between 10/20 muntjac a year my question is during the winter months I have never seen a young fawn. Is it me or can anyone say they have seen fawns regular trough the winter months Please it's an honest question looking for honest replies sorry if this has been covered before ? Cheers TM 270

My experience in my wood is that I see fawns in the summer months when there is plenty of cover, but very few in the winter when they are obviously easier to spot from the air. I am convinced that the Buzzard's and Red Kites we have, take them through the winter months.Wf1

I found several fawns during the winter all were dead and in the worse of the winter weather I believe many perish in the worse winters .
    N

Very interesting question.

Is it possible that after over 100 generations in the wild in England, that Muntjac's breeding season could be starting to adapt to the climate / seasons in the UK?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I was talking to Jason from Muntjacstalking back in march and he has an abundance of them everywhere and he is convinced that they are starting to develope a breeding season with far more young being seen late spring/early summer. Its natures way I suppose.
    Paul

Thanks for replies guys I was sat in high seat the other night (great place to think) pondering over this if muntjac are going towards a recognised season ? Should we afford them a closed season I know this is hard one but they are hardy little buggers and I must say I have a great deal of respect for them just my thoughts and YES TIN HAT IS ON chin strap secured.

so are people saying the muntjac is choosing not to get pregnant shortly after birth then? because that would be difficult to regulate with a 7 month gestation cycle I would have thought.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    so are people saying the muntjac is choosing not to get pregnant shortly after birth then? because that would be difficult to regulate with a 7 month gestation cycle I would have thought.

Dave
    I don't think anyone stating anything as fact. We are just speculating.

I have sat up a high seat in Suffolk for a long weekend every February for the past five years. I have shot about 40 odd Muntjac in that time, more does than bucks, maybe 30 does. A lot of them were heavy in kid, very few of them, if any, had milk that I could see.

The he understory is very bare at that time of year, I have seen very few obvious kids.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

More successful predation maybe?

They will still conceive, but in my opinion the reason why we/you/I do not see fawns in the winter is that the mortality rate is going to be much higher. The reasons will be weather for a start, lack of good feed for the mother, much higher predation by foxes, badgers, feral cats, birds of prey due to the much reduced cover. All of this is stacked against their survival to become mature animals.

However there could also be something in their breeding habits that is changing, but this would need hard evidence to prove it. It would make an interesting study and I look forward to hearing the results if anyone takes the challenge up.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.