How is an action listed on your FAC?

Mac

I currently have a Remmy 700 VSSF (circa 1999) in .308 which still shoots great but I fancy something else a little lighter and shorter. For sentimental reasons, I don't want to get rid of the Remmy and it's been shortened and threaded without reproofing, so can't be sold in its current form.

I have a slot for a 30-06 on my cert and have applied to vary this to a second .308 on the basis that I can set up a shorter lighter .308 for hill and heavily forested stalking while the Remmy can be resigned to low ground and target shooting.

Im not sure if my FLO will grant the second .308 so I'm needing a Plan B. If I were to remove the barrel (gunsmith to do the work) and keep the stock and action with a view to rebarreling the Remmy in .223 sometime in the future, how would the action be listed on my certificate? Ideally, I would need it to be anything other than a .308 so the the slot is made available for my new rifle.

I hope this makes sense. Any advice on how to keep the Remmy whilst releasing the .308 slot would be appreciated.

many thanks

Mac

it would be listed as a bolt "action"

your chopped and threaded rifle could happily be sold and despite many RFD's being unwilling to do work and then sell without proof, private rifles are sold "out of re-proof" all the time....

why wouldn't your FLO give you a second 308?
get your story straight and back it up with well thought out info and you will have no issue

1) hill - long and rangey
2) forest - short pointy

You wouldn't be able to rebarrel to .223 with out changing the bolt. They are two different size bolt faces.
ATB Sean

it would be listed as a bolt "action"

your chopped and threaded rifle could happily be sold and despite many RFD's being unwilling to do work and then sell without proof, private rifles are sold "out of re-proof" all the time....

why wouldn't your FLO give you a second 308?
get your story straight and back it up with well thought out info and you will have no issue

1) hill - long and rangey
2) forest - short pointy

Thanks bewsher500,

I'm going for the long and rangy vs. short and pointy as my justification, but having had some fairly illogical responses from various FLOs in the past, I'm half expecting a refusal. Hopefully I'll hear quickly. I'd be disappointed to think that they'd let me have a .308 and a .30-06 but not two .308s.

You wouldn't be able to rebarrel to .223 with out changing the bolt. They are two different size bolt faces.
ATB Sean

Thanks for the info, I hadn't considered having to change the bolt.

22-250 would be ok though (thanks Greener Jim), Would .243 also be OK with the same bolt face?

Back