Thread: .223 .224 Hornet

Angry .223 .224 Hornet

I have just bought 200 40g Sierra Bullets for my CZ 527 Hornet. I asked for .224 diameter bullets which is correct for my CZ Hornet, but on getting home I found that, in fact they had given me .223 diameter, Now I know that I should have checked them at the shop but I didn't. I am not very keen on going back to the shop with them as it is a hundred miles round trip (I was on a day out with my wife). Question, can I load them in my CZ or would that be a waste of time? Would I be better off just leaving them until I am in that area again? I feel a bit of a fool but as they say that you don't make mistakes, you just gain experience.

Courser.

Quote Originally Posted by courser View Post
    I have just bought 200 40g Sierra Bullets for my CZ 527 Hornet. I asked for .224 diameter bullets which is correct for my CZ Hornet, but on getting home I found that, in fact they had given me .223 diameter, Now I know that I should have checked them at the shop but I didn't. I am not very keen on going back to the shop with them as it is a hundred miles round trip (I was on a day out with my wife). Question, can I load them in my CZ or would that be a waste of time? Would I be better off just leaving them until I am in that area again? I feel a bit of a fool but as they say that you don't make mistakes, you just gain experience.

Courser.
    There's only one way to find out if they will work!
    They will, at least, do no harm. I wish Sierra would quit making those foolish projectiles. Two thirds of the rifles I've owned that should have been a genuine .223" groove diameter actually were closer to .224" when slugged. ~Muir

It'll probably be fine. CZ's tend to have a swaged bore towards the muzzle end IIRC...

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    It'll probably be fine. CZ's tend to have a swaged bore towards the muzzle end IIRC...
    I wish I had £5 for every time I have heard this.
    I have the off-cuts from a few CZ barrels here, none are choked in any way.
    My CZ hornet actually measures .2235" and will shoot the .223" bullets ok, not as good as .224"
    but plenty good enough for real world use.

Neil.

Mine now is but then I did shorten with a Snap-On pipe cutter prior to reducing on a lath then thread cutting.

K