Thread: Temporary exporting of firearms to South Africa

Temporary exporting of firearms to South Africa

I am lucky enough to be heading out to SA on a hunting trip in a couple of weeks. I am using an agent at Joburgh to ease my passage thru customs. The agent has told me I need an export certificate from the UK to be able to import my firearm into SA. Apparently this is a very new addition to the import rules and regs.

Does anyone have experience of this ? As I say this has apparently come into being within the last couple of weeks

Cheers

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by N.F.W.M View Post
    I am lucky enough to be heading out to SA on a hunting trip in a couple of weeks. I am using an agent at Joburgh to ease my passage thru customs. The agent has told me I need an export certificate from the UK to be able to import my firearm into SA. Apparently this is a very new addition to the import rules and regs.

Does anyone have experience of this ? As I say this has apparently come into being within the last couple of weeks

Cheers

Ed
    Ed,

i travelled to SA 2 weeks ago and it wasn't a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    Ed,

i travelled to SA 2 weeks ago and it wasn't a requirement.

Hi ... Apparently it is now !

PHASA website has nothing on it.

Now, as an Export Certificate in the UK doesn't exist, what do SAPS expect to see?

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    PHASA website has nothing on it.

Now, as an Export Certificate in the UK doesn't exist, what do SAPS expect to see?

Stan
    Think this was covered recently and the upshot was your UK FAC is your authority to export from the UK.

Which makes sense ..... I don't stop in SA any more and just pass through on route elsewhere so my rifle stays in transit so I have no recent personal experience!

Tony

Well, looking at this http://www.saps.gov.za/services/flas...mportation.php
    I would just do as they say. Where a certificate doesn't exist then written confirmation.

I would just write a letter that states UK doesn't issue any Export Certification and that my FAC is my authority to export temporarily. Detail the trip and sign it. No big deal.

Stan

I have just spoken with the UKBA

They inform me that it is a South African requirement not a UK requirement.

The agent I am using in SA told me that last week she had 6 UK clients have their firearms confiscated at Joburgh airport to be released upon their departure back to UK. Their firearms were confiscated because they did not have a Temporary Export Permit from the UK

I have now emailed a scanned copy of my FAC, Passport, Invite letter, and flight itinerary to the UKBA. They will issue me with the permit and send it by post.

Bit of a panic but Im happy to jump thru hoops before arriving rather than come unstuck and have my firearm confiscated !

I will report upon my return as to the legitimacy of needing this permit.

Regards

Ed

i followed stans advice 2 weeks ago and had no problems. sounds like bs to me.

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Well, looking at this http://www.saps.gov.za/services/flas...mportation.php
    I would just do as they say. Where a certificate doesn't exist then written confirmation.

I would just write a letter that states UK doesn't issue any Export Certification and that my FAC is my authority to export temporarily. Detail the trip and sign it. No big deal.

Stan
    I think the point is that such a certificate does exist !