Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venison Sausages Version 2

Venison Sausages Version 2

Its been a few years since i've done sausages but finally got my act together, got my shed sorted and have all of my ducks in a row so to speak.

I used a similar recipe to my first attempt, but added less garlic salt and cooked the quinoa in red wine and redcurrant jelly opposed to just water.

Process was to dice the whole deer (apart from the loins), dice pork belly to get a 75/25 mix of venison and pork. I cooked the quinoa as mentioned above, then chilled overnight in the fridge. I mixed the spices in with the quinoa in order to achieve a good spread of seasoning throughout the meat. I then mixed it all together and fed it through the mincer twice before stuffing it into hog casings. I then hung the sausages in the chiller for a day to allow them to firm up before vac-packing and freezing.

Things i was fastidious with; cleanliness (obviously..), keeping all components as cold as possible and re-chilling between each step. I ended up with 6kg of venison off the roe. i lost a bit due to shot damage and it wasn't a massive one to start with. i added 1.5kg of pork belly, 500g of cooked Quinoa and 135g of my seasoning.

Seasoning includes cayenne pepper, black pepper, mixed pepper corns, garlic salt, nutmeg and rock salt. mixed in bulk.

Here's the results...

Things which could have gone better.. I split the skin a few times while making the sausages. Even with a manual stuffer (compared to an attachment on my mincer like last time) you still really need 2 pairs of hands until you become proficient.

Well done !!!! Same here haven't done it for couple years but I got front shoulders of a pig definitely 2 person job with manual stuffer
    They look great sir !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409073557.056198.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	46250

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409073569.433663.jpg 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	46251

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    Well done !!!! Same here haven't done it for couple years but I got front shoulders of a pig definitely 2 person job with manual stuffer
    They look great sir !

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409073557.056198.jpg 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	46250

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409073569.433663.jpg 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	46251

Paul
    Are you using a manual stuffer too? How long do you hang your sausages for?

I bought the bushwear economy stuffer bout 5 yrs ago but always end up burgering coz it's seems less work
    But got that pork n just sausages was on my brain , threw in 2 jars of dried sage & about three onions blitzed in processor, salt n pepper and pinhead rusk

I'm rough n ready with this no measuring just go by feel,
    I hung them for bout 24 hrs
    But first time I've done it ... Think it helped .
    Do you notice a difference by re-mincing ? If so what ... Smoother texture ?

Cheers
    Paul

Funnily enough i had the same thoughts about the double mincing. Its done to ensure an even texture and mix. I use a pretty large gauge cutter on the mincer so putting it through twice leaves it with a rough texture still..

I agree about the workload of the sausages.. if you want to use reasonable quality meat and ingredients, you end up with expensive sausages.. Makes you wonder what type of venison goes into the ones you buy in the shop..

Exactly !!!!!
    I always wonder same thing once you finished then time takes again to ensure everything clean etc .... Usually sat pondering , knackered with a sausage sand which ( sampling / quality control )
    In one hand & a beer or nip in the other !
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    Its been a few years since i've done sausages but finally got my act together, got my shed sorted and have all of my ducks in a row so to speak.

I used a similar recipe to my first attempt, but added less garlic salt and cooked the quinoa in red wine and redcurrant jelly opposed to just water.

Process was to dice the whole deer (apart from the loins), dice pork belly to get a 75/25 mix of venison and pork. I cooked the quinoa as mentioned above, then chilled overnight in the fridge. I mixed the spices in with the quinoa in order to achieve a good spread of seasoning throughout the meat. I then mixed it all together and fed it through the mincer twice before stuffing it into hog casings. I then hung the sausages in the chiller for a day to allow them to firm up before vac-packing and freezing.

Things i was fastidious with; cleanliness (obviously..), keeping all components as cold as possible and re-chilling between each step. I ended up with 6kg of venison off the roe. i lost a bit due to shot damage and it wasn't a massive one to start with. i added 1.5kg of pork belly, 500g of cooked Quinoa and 135g of my seasoning.

Seasoning includes cayenne pepper, black pepper, mixed pepper corns, garlic salt, nutmeg and rock salt. mixed in bulk.

Here's the results...

Things which could have gone better.. I split the skin a few times while making the sausages. Even with a manual stuffer (compared to an attachment on my mincer like last time) you still really need 2 pairs of hands until you become proficient.

Hello FF.

Brilliant post, and thanks for sharing.... I am hoping to get my act together shortly, and learn how to make sausages, but I have to says yours look really excellent. Something to aspire to....

Please may I ask 2 questions :-

1 - The quinoa, is this a gluten free substitute to normal fillers, or is there a taste benefit over normal fillers ??

2 - Why do you pack them in five`s ?? Just me being curious !!!!

Thanks again.

All the best.

Neil.

They sound so tasty .

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Hello FF.

Brilliant post, and thanks for sharing.... I am hoping to get my act together shortly, and learn how to make sausages, but I have to says yours look really excellent. Something to aspire to....

Please may I ask 2 questions :-

1 - The quinoa, is this a gluten free substitute to normal fillers, or is there a taste benefit over normal fillers ??

2 - Why do you pack them in five`s ?? Just me being curious !!!!

Thanks again.

All the best.

Neil.
    How do Neil. Sorry for the delay...

1: The quinoa is a gluten free substitute but also adds a depth of flavour over and above rusk (IMO). Also you dont need to add so much water into your sausages. I cook the Quinoa in red wine or port with juniper berries and bay leaves to add subtle flavours.

2: I pack them in roughly 500g packs which equates to 5 sausages. Its also because if i cook them for my missus and i, being a greedy guts, i have 3 and she has 2!!

An update about this mix though.. the taste is very good but maybe a tad light on that garlic flavour (i had reduced the amount due to the last ones being too strong) and also a bit dry. Due to not getting enough belly pork, i ended up with a low ratio of B.P to venison. (7.5kg/1.5kg) which has lead to a dry sausage. Ive got a fallow which is destined for more sausages so stand by for version 3. I was thinking of caramelising a load of onions and adding these to the mix with some garlic which might add moisture to them as well as more flavour..

I've found certainly with the burgers , you add a flavour to the mince ... & think o god maybe went too much, but once their made and cooked it can be hardly there.
    I'm starting to be bit braver & throw decent quantities in .

Paul