Blackberry whisky

jimbo1984

Evening gents
how many of you are making blackberry whisky this year ? I've 2 bottles on the go at the min and and making a bottle of blackberry vodka for the first time this year too , just hope I'm patient enough to let it age enough this year ;)
atb Jim

I have, as usual, a dozen pounds of blackberries under a dozen of whisky.

As I've remarked in the past, it is a way of bottling summer sunshine against the rigors of Highland hind-stalking and other outdoor winter pursuits of the urban middle-class.
:)

If known you brew that mate I'd have personally dropped the scope cap off for a sample.

Posting the cap off Friday morning first class.

I have, as usual, a dozen pounds of blackberries under a dozen of whisky.

As I've remarked in the past, it is a way of bottling summer sunshine against the rigors of Highland hind-stalking and other outdoor winter pursuits of the urban middle-class.
:)
A dozen sounds good :) I think I may be underprepared with my brew lol

If known you brew that mate I'd have personally dropped the scope cap off for a sample.

Posting the cap off Friday morning first class.
Thanks again mate much appreciated :) pm me your adress and I'll gladly post you a bottle :)

I made a trial bottle a couple of years ago and tried it after a few weeks it was horrid and slung it to the back of the cupboard. I dragged it out a week or so ago to pour it down the drain and just thought i would try it before it went for a burton, I'm impressed; it has really improved with age so it looks like i will need to make some more this year along with the standard sloe gin and sloe vodka.

I made a trial bottle a couple of years ago and tried it after a few weeks it was horrid and slung it to the back of the cupboard. I dragged it out a week or so ago to pour it down the drain and just thought i would try it before it went for a burton, I'm impressed; it has really improved with age so it looks like i will need to make some more this year along with the standard sloe gin and sloe vodka.

Sloe whisky is also worth a try, in fact just about any spirit and any softish fruit

Singing Johnny made with a mixture of whatever soft fruit you have to hand mainly raspberries and brambles etc but try adding blueberries black currents strawberries.

Once made plum vodka, tasted great but had to drink it in the dark,:eek: looked revolting just like something that had been washed out of a byre door.:rofl:

Last edited:
Jimbo,

Never heard of that one, do you have a recipe you could share? I have Gooseberry Gin on the go at the minute as a trial, so I'll see what that's like in October....

Sloe whisky is also worth a try, in fact just about any spirit and any softish fruit

Singing Johnny made with a mixture of whatever soft fruit you have to hand mainly raspberries and brambles etc but try adding blueberries black currents strawberries.

Once made plum vodka, tasted great but had to drink it in the dark,:eek: looked revolting just like something that had been washed out a byre door.:rofl:

Plum Vodka is a firm favorite but agreed the colour isn't great!!!

Try adding cherries to your blackberry whisky, very good if you can leave it for over a year, two is great, three is impossible :D

found a gallon and a half of sloe gin in the garage the other week. Must have put it there when I moved in with the Mrs - 6 yrs ago! Havent got through a lot of it yet, but come the winter will be downing it all day long!

Quick question lads , do you ***** or crush the berries when adding them too the jar ? Just made up a 3 berry combo with brambles , rasberries and blueberries, before adding the whisky I squashed them with a tattie masher ? Will this be OK ?, I haven't seen any recipes asking for the fruit too be squashed , thanks in advance

Quick question lads , do you ***** or crush the berries when adding them too the jar ? Just made up a 3 berry combo with brambles , rasberries and blueberries, before adding the whisky I squashed them with a tattie masher ? Will this be OK ?, I haven't seen any recipes asking for the fruit too be squashed , thanks in advance

.....wouldn't have thought that it would matter too much with soft fruit like blackberries/raspberries, but I always ***** the damsons that go to make my damson gin/vodka. I still have blackberry vodka steeping with tht fruit in from this time last year - it's gone a gorgeous clarety kind of colour. Should be deeeeelish!!

PS - try your damson/blackberry/whatever vodka or gin topped up with fizzy plonk like Prosecco if you fancy a lighter 'lunchtime/evening' tipple.....v nice!

I just freeze sloes first, creates a small split in the skin and it works grand, saves a lot of buggering around. should work with most berries i would think? what you have done will definitely work though, just may need to seive it before drinking.

Have 3 bottles of Raspberry Vodka on the go at the moment, tried strawberry vodka a few years back but wasn't too keen.
Looking forward to making some Sloe gin, but Sloes not looking great this year.
A mate made some damson brandy which was lovely.
Might try a blackberry whisky.
Only ever use superstore cheap brands for homemade, the Single malts & decent gins stay in the cupboard.

Also went loading a couple of years ago & one of the other loaders had Vodka/minestrone soup, Hot & warming

Have 3 bottles of Raspberry Vodka on the go at the moment, tried strawberry vodka a few years back but wasn't too keen.
Looking forward to making some Sloe gin, but Sloes not looking great this year.
A mate made some damson brandy which was lovely.
Might try a blackberry whisky.
Only ever use superstore cheap brands for homemade, the Single malts & decent gins stay in the cupboard.

Also went loading a couple of years ago & one of the other loaders had Vodka/minestrone soup, Hot & warming

make chilli sherry, along the same lines as sloe gin (no sugar!) using dry sherry, and it's great in soup on cold days.

Back