Thread: 6.5 x55 bullet drop

6.5 x55 bullet drop

I have aquired some Hornady 160 grn bullets . I have loaded some and found them to be very accurate . Can anyone tell me the bullet drop if zeroed bang on at 100m for 200,300,400.

Thanks
    Chill

You will need to know velocity to accurately calculate bullet drop at a given distance mate.
    Either that or post your load and someone might be able to give a ballpark if run through quick load
    Last edited by Cadex; 27-08-2014 at 06:08.

Morning Chill, your best bet is a ballistics calculator (you can find an app) as you can enter the factors that will affect the bullet specific to your rifle & load. You will need a chrono too.

hope this helps regards Tristram

Alternatively you could shoot it at those ranges and get your tape measure out, much better fun than a 'Ballistic calculator'

Quote Originally Posted by rick6point5 View Post
    Alternatively you could shoot it at those ranges and get your tape measure out, much better fun than a 'Ballistic calculator'
    Rick6 has the answer if you don't have the MV or are unable to chrono the load. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    I have aquired some Hornady 160 grn bullets . I have loaded some and found them to be very accurate . Can anyone tell me the bullet drop if zeroed bang on at 100m for 200,300,400.

Thanks
    Chill
    No problem. It's in the book. I've used these, and everything else now.

This Hornady RN isn't a flat shooter as the ballistic coeff is only .251 .... as bad as most standard .224 SP jobs.

Your MV will be around 2400 FPS. The trajectory for a 100yd zero will be -6.9" @ 200yd, and -24.8" @ 300yd.

The Sierra 160gr SMP shoots flatter, but is a true .2635" diameter so has to be loaded down.

No such problems with the Hornady as the section in front of the canellure is .257". It's designed to 'ride the bore' to replicate the heavy 6.5mm military FMJ.........

ATB.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Just shoot it at all them distances. You'll know for sure then. Calculators are fine if you've got a chronograph but you just can't beat knowing in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Just shoot it at all them distances. You'll know for sure then. Calculators are fine if you've got a chronograph but you just can't beat knowing in real life.
    Get a 5 foot long strip of old wall paper and fix it up 400 yards from the bench you shoot off making sure there is no wind. Aim at the top of the sheet and fire 5 rounds then go and see how far down the bullets have hit it, if indeed they have hit...

Repeat process again but this time at 300 yards, etc.

If it's windy then put 5 strips of wallpaper up side by side, aim at the top of the middle one and see where/if the bullets hit it.

Have fun, as Woodmaster says there is no substitute for real world data and you will learn a lot by trial and error.

And then; and only then, get your Swarovski custom tuned dial-in turret configured!

K

It's a 6.5x55. Relax. Enjoy. Feel good. Go shoot some stuff. Move on. Collect tin hat. Call taxi.