BBC news Arizona shooting range

terrier

Lunchtime news item, and film, about a nine year old girl firing a "high powered" automatic weapon under instruction on a public range in Arizona. She ended up shooting the instructor fatally in the head, although this bit wasn't actually shown on the item I watched.. Very sad, but interesting that the BBC select this as a major world issue. I often get the feeling that they prioritise US shootings with an uncomfortable subtext that American gun control should be debated in Parliament. Or am I being a touch paranoid?

Not paranoid at all, I'm sure, but it's also a story that would run on its exceptional drama and tragedy alone.

A disaster that should -and could so easily- have been avoided in so many ways (none of them requiring legislative prohibitions).

Very tragic accident that as stated could have so easily been avoided such a shame and i wonder how the little girl is feeling after what has happened the news havnt mentioned that

Not paranoid at all, I'm sure, but it's also a story that would run on its exceptional drama and tragedy alone.

A disaster that should -and could so easily- have been avoided in so many ways (none of them requiring legislative prohibitions).

Exactly this.

Surely even the most ardent gun rights advocates would question the wisdom of giving an automatic weapon to a small and totally inexperienced girl? Forget any discussion about the psychological or moral implications - the simple physical safety of the situation is horrifyingly out of control.

That poor litle girl will be scarred for life because of the catastrophic failure of judgement by the adults around her.

There is a reason we usually start with air rifles and single shot .410 shotguns.

Exactly this.

Surely even the most ardent gun rights advocates would question the wisdom of giving an automatic weapon to a small and totally inexperienced girl? Forget any discussion about the psychological or moral implications - the simple physical safety of the situation is horrifyingly out of control.

That poor litle girl will be scarred for life because of the catastrophic failure of judgement by the adults around her.

There is a reason we usually start with air rifles and single shot .410 shotguns.

+ lots. She was a small child who would not have had the physical strength to control the recoil, even if she was mentally mature enough, which I question. It is idiots like that who make the lives of responsible shooters so difficult!

David.

Age, size, gender, maturity(?) are all irrelevant - other than as factors in how any given situation is managed. Both my children fired fully automatic, full bore weapons before they were 10 years old. It was simply part of their growing up and managed entirely safely, without anyone getting shot. Presumably if this young lady had been aged 15 or 20 she wouldn't have been 'scarred for life' after shooting her instructor? I'm intrigued to know at what age you become immune to psychological damage following the accidental shooting of someone.....?

I made a lot of my judgement on her arm and wrist size. She didn't look strong enough!!! I refrained from entering into the realms of psychobabble.

David.

APresumably if this young lady had been aged 15 or 20 she wouldn't have been 'scarred for life' after shooting her instructor? I'm intrigued to know at what age you become immune to psychological damage following the accidental shooting of someone.....?

The point I was making is that, at that age and lacking experience, she was in no position to judge the situation. She was reliant on the judgement of the adults around her - which was demonstrably flawed. By 15-20, a person is old enough and (usually) mature enough to make their own decisions. Of course anyone, at any age, will be messed up after killing someone by mistake - but in this instance, she was put in this position by people who she should have been able to trust to make the best decisions on her behalf. They manifestly failed to adequately assess her ability to handle the weapon.

Based on the clip, and the way she was standing and handling the gun, this was her first session with a handgun. Did you just hand your kids an fully auto machine pistol first time out? Almost certainly not - I imagine you trained them on safe handling and accurate shooting with something like an air rifle/pistol first, then worked them up through the levels, making sure they were safe and confident at each stage before progressing to the next.

The point I was making is that, at that age and lacking experience, she was in no position to judge the situation. She was reliant on the judgement of the adults around her - which was demonstrably flawed. By 15-20, a person is old enough and (usually) mature enough to make their own decisions. Of course anyone, at any age, will be messed up after killing someone by mistake - but in this instance, she was put in this position by people who she should have been able to trust to make the best decisions on her behalf. They manifestly failed to adequately assess her ability to handle the weapon.

Based on the clip, and the way she was standing and handling the gun, this was her first session with a handgun. Did you just hand your kids an fully auto machine pistol first time out? Almost certainly not - I imagine you trained them on safe handling and accurate shooting with something like an air rifle/pistol first, then worked them up through the levels, making sure they were safe and confident at each stage before progressing to the next.
absolutely right mungo ,a 9 year old childs mine is no way developed enough to deal with a taruma of that level with out having a masive effect on there growing up .bandit at 15 -20 you are able to process emotinal stress far better than a 7 year old girl .what the hell were they thinking of ,ONLY IN AMERICA. thank god it was the instrutor and not her perants

Last edited:
Position of instructor certainly helped to his early demise...

Too late for "should have, could have", but had he been standing behind the girls right shoulder ready to control from behind this tragic occurrence wouldn't have taken place.

Darwin selection process...

I agree in part with Bandit Country - regardless of age anybody would be "scarred" for life. However as a father to two grown up girls and a grand dad to an army mad 9 year old, I read the article in disbelief.

What were the parents thinking taking a 9 year old to a range?

We had an open day years ago back in the time when you could shoot full bore and small bore pistols and I was at the time a Range Safety Officer within a Practical Pistol Club.

I was next to an adult who nearly dropped a Colt Gold Cup (.45) after experiencing the kick on their first shot. I immediately took the pistol off them, made it safe, and very politely suggested that the sport was probably not for them (they agreed immediately).

What was the professional thinking? - a 9 year old and a full auto pistol don't go together - end of!

I have fired an Uzi on full auto.
It's definitely not for 9 year olds.
I doubt that even in the land of it's invention,where folk are familiar with weapons,that children are allowed to handle kit like that.

There isn't a problem with kids using weapons under close supervision.

Theres some footage banding about the web of two 9 year old sisters shooting a pistol comp in the states - both show exceptional shooting skills that many would be hard pressed to match here.

While a fully auto Uzi may not be ideal, if it was loaded with one round and set to single shot - there wouldn't have been a problem.

Easy for the press and nay do wells to jump on this as being yet another nail in the anti gun coffin - but many thousands of kids use weapons all around the world (out of conflict scenarios) and accidents like this are rare.

The instruction was inadequate.

With proper forethought and preparation this wouldn't have happened.

I don't see it as a question of age.

The greatest danger presented by firearms is actually that of complacency. "It won't happen to me" is about the most dangerous mindset there is.

All the same, I think it's a raw enough deal to pay for it with your life, without being derided for it on the internet too.

There's nothing about this that isn't a source of sadness. Mockery and righteous indignation are out of place.

I would be interested in the competency/experience level of the "Instructor"... I sympathise with the relatives, and the youngster who was under "Instruction"... but this event was completely avoidable.

You're right, only in America would the Police shoot a man dead then handcuff the dead body!!!

Back