Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 rimmy ammo for rats

.22 rimmy ammo for rats

Some advice please gents.
    Not having a .22 rimmy myself I need some advice for a mate about suitability of a 22 rimfire for rats and best ammo options.
    Rats will be shot in and around a farm yard......some of it hard standing (concrete floor) and some grassland & fileds. A fair bit of machinery and farm buildings (barns etc).
    What's this "shotshell" ammo like?
    Anything else more suitable? Obviously ricochets are a concern.

Would he be better off with a air rifle or fac air rifle?
    He has access to a .22 rimmy so if that could be used safely with the right ammo it will save a bob or two.
    He has been using a shotgun but something a bit more stealthy is in order.

Cheers

Regular Poster
    Almost certainly a job for an airrifle I would have thought. .22 or .25, 8ftlbs plus and reasonably cheap with a composite stock. The .22 rimfire ricochet would be lethal off concrete and I can speak from experience that even a 12ftlbs air rifle will make neat little holes in barn roofs if you aren't careful, and that isn't especially helpful if you want to retain the permission! Even 8ftlbs kills rats cleanly if you hit them in the front 3rd of their bodies or head out to around 30yds. Take a look at a crossman ratcatcher or a quality secondhand springer, easily as quiet as a moderated .22lr if not quieter and you can get a ratcatcher for about 75 if I recall correctly and of course 500 pellets is about 12 so you will save over the rimmy in the long term.
    Hope this helps,
    Alistair

Inside of 20 feet, like inside my farm sheds, I use a revolver with rat shot.

The next step up is to .22 Short Gallery loads, made for shooting targets in a booth at the state fairs. The bullets are subsonic, and shatter, rather than richochet or penetrate through a barn wall. These work well in a revolver or rifle, and in a .22 Short ISU rapidfire target pistol.

.22 rimmy ammo for rats

.410 shotgun
    Last edited by phitt; 28-08-2014 at 02:46. Reason: addition

I always use an airifle around the barns and yard for rats apart from the damage to building and machinery useing a rimfire around yards and buildings,it is highly probable it would be leathal to anyone in the immediate area

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Inside of 20 feet, like inside my farm sheds, I use a revolver with rat shot.

The next step up is to .22 Short Gallery loads, made for shooting targets in a booth at the state fairs. The bullets are subsonic, and shatter, rather than richochet or penetrate through a barn wall. These work well in a revolver or rifle, and in a .22 Short ISU rapidfire target pistol.
    That sounds like good sport, unfortunately, since the lunatics took over the asylum, even our .22 short ISU target pistols have, long ago, been turned into wind turbine blades.

To be caught with something as dangerous as a single shot .22lr target pistol is a mandatory 5 year sentence, in fact I believe it may now be an offence to even think about one.

+1 for air rifle, though I have had good sport in the past with CB Cap rounds, was wonderfully accurate out of my old BSA and about 30-40 ftlb I think.
    Matt

First choice is an air rifle but if it has to be a rimfire then CCI Quiet.
    710fps from the round so just above the 12ftlb air rifle at 650fps

Quote Originally Posted by phitt View Post
    .410 shotgun
    ++1 or a air rifle.

Dycing with death with a .22lr.

Regards kev
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    First choice is an air rifle but if it has to be a rimfire then CCI Quiet.
    710fps from the round so just above the 12ftlb air rifle at 650fps
    These are still 45 ft lb at the muzzle and 36 ft lb at 100 yards so will still ricochet like mad and damage barn roofs