Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about purchasing a centerfire rifle in the UK

Question Question about purchasing a centerfire rifle in the UK

I live in America, but I have an indefinite leave to remain in the UK and thinking about moving there next year. I am aware of the steps required to obtain a firearms certificate and have no issue with with. What I want to know is, after obtaining the certificate and going to buy a rifle, will I have to take the rifle to the police or anywhere else to register it and have its serial number entered in the file, or will this be done at the place of purchase and I can take the rifle straight home and begin to use it? Thank you very much.

It's all done by email or post so once you have your authority to purchase you take it home and start using it. Simple.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Ps, post an introduction before you get told off.......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

As said above, when you have bought the rifle you must then inform your licensing department (within 7 days?) of the purchase. There are standard forms you can use for this to make sure they get all the information they need. Send the forms by post or email.

you can use the rifle as soon as you have bought it, no need to wait for anything.

Have you spent much time in the UK? To get a FAC you need two referees who know you personally for a minimum of 2 years and are resident in Great Britain. You also need to be registered with a doctor here.

Yes you can use the gun the day you collect it, but you need to get a 'slot' on your FAC for the particular calibre and ammunition. Then notify the police within 7 days of purchase.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

The best thing you can do is join a gun club, once you are settled over here.It shows you are serious.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian44 View Post
    I live in America, but I have an indefinite leave to remain in the UK and thinking about moving there next year. I am aware of the steps required to obtain a firearms certificate and have no issue with with. What I want to know is, after obtaining the certificate and going to buy a rifle, will I have to take the rifle to the police or anywhere else to register it and have its serial number entered in the file, or will this be done at the place of purchase and I can take the rifle straight home and begin to use it? Thank you very much.

Sorry, but this seems a very odd introduction.

"Indefinite leave to remain" status will be your first problem.

"What I want to know is, ... I can take the rifle straight home and begin to use it?"

Yes, but why is this of such concern to you ? Will it influence your decision whether or not to move here ?

Please tell us a bit more about yourself, and your good reason for wanting to take home a rifle and "begin to use it straightaway".

And when were you appointed the introduction police.
    If your coming to the UK , speak to the police authority of the area you will be living in. You will then get the best advice.

Indefinite leave to remain is no problem. You have to be resident in the UK which I am sure you will be. My wife has the same as you and is resident.
    Being resident you can then apply for a FAC as long as you have good reason. Ie: A member of a gun club, for stalking or vermin shooting. You must have authorisation to shoot on someone's land. I am afraid there is no land in the UK where you can take a firearm without the landowners permission.
    As previously said, you apply for a particular calibre for a particular reason and this is what you may buy and use for that reason.
    Once the FAC is issued you can then purchase the rifle, ammo and only use it for the purpose you have been granted.
    hope this helps
    Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer4u0 View Post
    Indefinite leave to remain is no problem.
    Norm
    That might be correct, if he had it.

But he cannot. Since by his statement, he lives in "America"

Perhaps he has "Indefinite Leave to Enter" status ?

PS: the clue is in the word "remain".