Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR15 Straight Pull

AR15 Straight Pull

I am thinking of getting an AR15 type straight pull for using on the range and possible foxing. Any one have any experience of them? Are they accurate? I saw a North West Arms one at Bisley which looked fun without costing an arm or a leg, but as they are all new there was no chance of trying one.

I don't need to have a straight pull but I'll bet it will be accurate. I think that unless one is hooked on the look, I'd get a box mag conversion for a 700 Rem or Howa, etc, bolt gun.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I don't need to have a straight pull but I'll bet it will be accurate. I think that unless one is hooked on the look, I'd get a box mag conversion for a 700 Rem or Howa, etc, bolt gun.~Muir
    I have one, use it for target and fox so multi disciplined rifle, it is heavier and more expensive than Muir's suggestion above. deerwarden.

Blog Entries
    Me too! I have reservations about taking a "Black Gun" out to shoot foxes but on the range it works beautifully.

Realities of an AR for precision work are: if you have an adjustable stock then you have slop in the stock. There is also likely to be movement between the upper and lower receiver.

I have the Southern Gun Company Speedmaster. They build good quality guns.

I bet you could find a bolt action .223 for a third of the cost. Never going to get armed response for being seen with an assault rifle either.

Personally won't be swapping mine any time soon though.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    Realities of an AR for precision work are: if you have an adjustable stock then you have slop in the stock. There is also likely to be movement between the upper and lower receiver.
    this drove me bananas, even though it apparently doesn't affect accuracy. there is just something wrong about sticking an accuwedge in a brand new rifle.

I'd say get a version with (right side) side racker if you insist on AR-15. Regular charging handle would be very awkward to use straight-pull.

Adjustable stocks ND is referring to would be carbine style, adjustable for length. There's some models that have tensioning to take up the slack.

AR-15 platform can be built quite accurate and stay reasonably light. They have good ergonomics for prone shooting, but be aware of the magwell, magazine and pistol grip. They make for big differences compared to bolt guns, when you're shooting from some positions, especially supported.

I would prefer some other action type to straight-pull AR-15.

I agree with Jihyttin, get an AR with a side lever as the straight pull is heavy and difficult to use with a scope in place. I've owned a braddley arms one for 6-7 years and has been a great rifle on the range, it would be quite heavy to lug around after fox though.

Blog Entries

AR15 Straight Pull

Who does an AR straight pull without a side lever? The standard T bar would be incredibly rough to use with a typical scope set up.

The Speedmaster has one left and right as standard I think. Mine certainly does.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Suggest if your looking for a Ar15 you consider Bradley Arms, they make reliable and accurate rifles.

they are good but I sold mine because you get 'those' looks if you take it out for deer