Thread: Tikka M55 Aftermarket stock and magazine question.

Tikka M55 Aftermarket stock and magazine question.

Hi all,
    I know Tikka M55 aftermarket stocks have been discussed and also the fact that spare magazines are non existent. I've been looking at McMillan stocks and some come with detachable magazines, would fitting an aftermarket stock do away with the original magazines? Or would it still mean I would have to use the original magazines?

I hope this isn't a daft question and would appreciate any info!

Thanks.

Tom.

You use the original magazine.

The only aftermarket magazine Mcmillan did were for the Sako 995 (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_gun View Post
    Hi all,
    I know Tikka M55 aftermarket stocks have been discussed and also the fact that spare magazines are non existent. I've been looking at McMillan stocks and some come with detachable magazines, would fitting an aftermarket stock do away with the original magazines? Or would it still mean I would have to use the original magazines?

I hope this isn't a daft question and would appreciate any info!

Thanks.

Tom.
    The reference info you've got from the McMillan site is below, as it might (if true) interest others.

If you're looking for Tikka aftermarket stuff from the USA always try looking under Sako. Since the Tikka T3 showed the yanks what was available in Europe (in contrast to their own home market cr**p) the original Tikka models that made it over the pond seem to be confused with what Beretta USA now markets (SAKO & T3 only).

https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan...-sako-classic/

Fitting Your Sako Action.

Since Sako often changes its actions, we must know the model number to ensure your satisfaction.

Our Sako Hunter, Sako Classic, Sako Varmint and Sako Thumbhole stock designs can be inletted for most of the older Sako actions from the L461-L579-L61R series thru the AI, AII, AV series and the 491-591-691 series. We have a reduced size version of the Sako Hunter for the little L461 and AI actions. The older L46 and L59 actions will not fit our stock designs and we do not offer stocks for them.

We can also inlet our Sako stocks for the Tikka 595-695, 55, 65, T3 and Howa/Vanguard series of rifles.

The newer Sako 75 series require their own stock designs and these stocks are so indicated.

The newest Sako 85 series also requires their own designs and we have versions of the Sako Hunter and Sako Classic stocks for this series.

Although I don't understand why you're doing it, if you can find an aftermarket M55 synthetic stock (there weren't any originals) then this will be inletted to fit the magazine well, so you'll just use your current M55 magazine as now.

FWIW, I don't believe the claim that 'Sako stocks can be inletted for M55 actions' . The M55 has a single stack magazine. This is much narrower than the Sako L579 'Forester' alternative which, I'm pretty sure, has a wider staggered-box magazine.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Maybe he is looking for an alternative magazine as well. I have a M55 in .243 and really worry about losing the mag.

You might see if a chassis can be modified to fit a M55 (not familiar at all with it). If it could be fitted to a chassis system, then most of them rely on AICS style mags, which would do away with your magazine concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer4u0 View Post
    Maybe he is looking for an alternative magazine as well. I have a M55 in .243 and really worry about losing the mag.
    Exactly.

Single stack mags are in most of the modern bolt-actions now. One plus for Mausers, Sakos, and the M65 over the M55 is that there's not so much worry about losing the box.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

A good gunsmith with a little epoxy/composite experience should be able to convert a composite stock to fit the Tikka and possibly fit an accuracy type mag system. All hand work and time consuming but doable. I did that on a L579 and on a Mauser...just for myself.
    edi

Entirely possible, as I've a McMillan composite fitted to my Tikka LSA55. It was originally for a Sako 75, just remachined to fit by Callum Ferguson at Precision Rifle Services. It uses the original magazine as well

Yup the reason is I am paranoid about losing the only magazine I have for it, as it seems impossible to get a replacement, losing would render it pretty much worthless, apart from maybe welding a plate in and turning into a single shot. McMillan do inlet for M55's, though the turnaround is 6 months! I would love a McMillan stock but they are pricey and if I lost my mag then it would be painful. Whoever owned the rifle before me cut the stock down and now its much too short, so my option is to find another stock/ aftermarket stock or fashion a stock extension. After some research today it seems that changing the magazine setup isn't an option.