Thread: Fallow move east in south west Scotland.

Fallow move east in south west Scotland.

We have a good number of Fallow deer on and around the Annandale estate which lies on the west of the M74 and the west coast main railway line.

I was out with my mate yesterday and he said he saw a herd of 6 fallow south of Moffat on the east side of the M74/West coast mainline. To my knowledge this is the first time they have crossed over the motorway/railway line. Hopefully they will establish them selves before somebody drops them.

Does anybody else know if this is the first animals to spread this far east from Annandale pocket.

My own view is they have been pushed because of the bad weather and heavy shooting on the estate.

ATB

Tahr

Thar,
    I don't see why they shouldn't be on the other side of the M74, I regulally see them on the side of the Motorway,although it is quite a distance before they can reach the big forestry blocks over the beef tub.
    I suppose it is the same reason that sika have not crossed this barrier to the west in any numbers..

regards
    griff

i must agree with Thar here
    constant pressure with lack of food and persitence in those stalkers trying to shoot them will always move them on to quieter pastures

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Thar,
    I don't see why they shouldn't be on the other side of the M74, I regulally see them on the side of the Motorway,although it is quite a distance before they can reach the big forestry blocks over the beef tub.
    I suppose it is the same reason that sika have not crossed this barrier to the west in any numbers..

regards
    griff
    Hi Griff

I have stalked alot of woodland, around the Beef tub, and what I
    havenít stalked I have ran with my running club or on my own, and as you say upon till now they have stopped on the other side.

If the Sika make it across to the west they might do well the feed around Dumfries on the farm land, must be better than the Spruce forest and sheep moor they are on at the minute.

Of course I could be wrong and maybe the fallow have been crossing for sometime.

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Thar; 21-02-2010 at 21:28. Reason: miss-read Original post.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    my mate's a keeper up the durisdeer / lead hills, im up that road 5-6 times a week and the large blocks on south side of A702 looks real good ground but not once have my friend who lives high up overlooking forestry or myself ever seen fallow or sika. with all the harvesting going on at moment and new windfarm would have thought a number of deer would have at least been pushed north but not a sniff.. about 5 weeks ago recived a txt off him saying he spotted 4-5 hinds just of roadside heading for the golf ball.... few days later had to work up peebles for couple of weeks so deer eyes on full alert.. & can say i did spot a number of large deer high up on hill side was so hazy couldnt make out species so the deer are back on the durisdeer...