Thread: preserving velevet

preserving velevet

can anyone help I have found some old threads on this but not very detailed. a mate has shot a nice fallow buck still in velvet .can anyone tell me how to preserve the velvet on the antler which does seem hard underneath.cheers

Would be keen to know what to do here as well please?

Scrape the velvet off with a spoon and leave outside in a shed for a few days then stain with some teak wood dye, re coat and they will be fine. The antler should only be soft on the tips if it is at all- that is all you can do.

A good friend has a mount in velvet, done some years ago, i asked he said it was injected & brushed with Formaldehyde, there were a number of applications by all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by rick6point5 View Post
    A good friend has a mount in velvet, done some years ago, i asked he said it was injected & brushed with Formaldehyde, there were a number of applications by all accounts.
    This is what a taxidermist friend of mine told me decades ago, but today I am sure that there are more modern methods. Call a few taxidermists and ask.
    Also, if you are a fly-tier then you should make friends with a taxidermist, you would be amazed what they throw away that you can use.

Freeze drying has become popular so i c on the web...

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    can anyone help I have found some old threads on this but not very detailed. a mate has shot a nice fallow buck still in velvet .can anyone tell me how to preserve the velvet on the antler which does seem hard underneath.cheers

Hi have done loads of these, you need formalin mixed with water 50 50, coat cloth (wear gloves) and wrap keeping damp for 5 days in a ventilated area, then leave to dry again ventilated and some where dry. If you can submerge both antlers in a container (wheelie bin) that seems to be better as stops fumes and other animals being affected. Save solution as can be used again, also suitable for preserving feet if required.

Regards Dave