Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Borrowing ammunition

Borrowing ammunition

I have a variation in at the moment. I've ran out of .22lr so called Police HQ (where my certificate is) and asked how long it would be and explained why.
    The very helpful lady on the phone said that I can borrow ammunition off a mate.
    Is this right?

The reason I ask is because if my mate lends me 200 rounds and then my FAC arrives shortly afterwards I will have 200 rounds not on my license. I said this to the woman and she said that it doesn't matter so long as I didn't go over my maximum. But they wouldn't know. It seems like it would be too easy to circumvent the rules and end up with too much by borrowing off a few unknowing mates.

Obviously I have no intention of going over my limit. I'm just checking as it seems wrong to me.
    Cheers in advance,
    Jim

SD Regular
    You still have authority to hold while your licence is in for variation, just can't buy. I have to say I'm surprised that they actually recommended this path to you - but equally I would suggest that it is a common path. I wouldn't get hung up about the 'purchase' not being on your licence. You could always return 200 rounds when you are in a position to purchase on return of your variation.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

After a friend tried numerous rounds in his new .243 he had a few boxes with only 5 or so rounds in each one that he gave to me to try in mine. needless to say he didn't write every single round onto my cert. I never went over my holding allowance so no issue. only time I could see it being an issue is if you do it reguarly and wish to increase your purchase amount and you have no record of how much you're actually using.

ive never seen a feo count any bullets yet , or for that fact even look in the ammo safe . i wouldnt worry about it , just replae them when you get your ticket back !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    I have a variation in at the moment. I've ran out of .22lr so called Police HQ (where my certificate is....
    Jim. Why did you part with your certificate? Regards JCS

Cheers lads. Me mate is on his way over as we speak.

Hi JCS. I spoke to my FEO, said I wanted to keep hold of it then just one for one at my local station, new for old. He wasn't having any of it. I took it higher and still no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    ..Hi JCS. I spoke to my FEO, said I wanted to keep hold of it then just one for one at my local station, new for old. He wasn't having any of it. I took it higher and still no luck.
    Jim. I suggest you take that issue up with BASC or whatever other shooting organisation you are in. I get variations on a regular basis and I always keep the original FAC in my possession so I can continue to purchase ammunition, etc.
    Regards
    JCS

Your mate is breaking the law. You are not in possesion of Valid firearms cert. You can not purchase or be given ammo/cartridges with out being in possesion of a cert.Photo copies don't count either.The fact your fire arms dept told this is ok is crap. Whats to say you havn't had your cert revoked or have that calibre on your fac. As said no one will ever no. but i would tell your fire arms dept you want your old cert back or your new one asap.
    Regards Sean

Right, I've not taken any. Sean put doubt in there whether right or wrong.

I'll contact BASC, JSC

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Your mate is breaking the law. You are not in possesion of Valid firearms cert. You can not purchase or be given ammo/cartridges with out being in possesion of a cert.Photo copies don't count either.The fact your fire arms dept told this is ok is crap. Whats to say you havn't had your cert revoked or have that calibre on your fac. As said no one will ever no. but i would tell your fire arms dept you want your old cert back or your new one asap.
    Regards Sean
    It's his mate Sean. He knows that he has it on his certificate. It's not some bloke down the pub! I dare say that technically you're correct and if I bumped into a bloke I didn't know and he spun me that story I would give him nothing. If a shooting buddy told me the same story and I knew it was true then I would have no problem lending him some ammo to tide him over and specially if he showed me a photo copy of the licence or a photo of it on his phone showing his ammo limits but lets not go there. It's been done to death!
    Baguio
    Last edited by baguio; 29-08-2014 at 20:25.