Thread: Winchester featherweight

Winchester featherweight

Hi all
    I'm looking for a 6.5x55, I'm feeling a little stuck on rifle, I have a cz in .223 and love it I reload for it and it clover leaves all day. At the moment I can't find a cz for sale for the right money but have founds Winchester 70 featherweight the ad says its an early rifle.

I haven't really heard much about this type of rifle and wondered what peoples opinions of the them would be.

Cheers James

I had one in.243 great rifle very accurate with a really nice trigger and action, weighed bugger all and with no mod it was a joy to carry.The more I think about it the more I regret selling it.

The model 70 is a classic. If it's pre-64 it'll be controlled round feed aswell. Not that it matters for deer stalking.

The usual checks of crown, barrel, general operation etc and it'll out shoot you likely as not.

Someone ne who knows more will be along but they are good bits of kit in my (and many others) opinion

James I have a Winchester feather weight in .308 I bought of a chap on this forum for not much money, The Rifle is around 14 years old. At first I was a little sceptical about the price and condition as he told me he can shoot a 3 shot group into a tennis ball. I thought I'll get it and have a go anyway. I had it screw cut before I even shot it. Bought 3 makes of 150 grain bullets and got a couple 168 grain Geco rounds of a mate and it shot 0.5 inch groups with 2 of the 3 makes and 168 grains. Since then I had it cerakoted and had the stock trigger worked on now breaking at 1.2 lbs. I felt that I owed the rifle the TLC as it shoots so well and dare I say "I will never sell the bad boy". I reload 125 grain and 150 grain heads for it and it puts them one on top of the other all day long providing I do my bit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	46394

I've owned a few over the years , controlled round feed pre-64's and post 64 push feed featherweights . If the bore is good , they are great rifles . The pre-64's weren't clambered in 6.5 as a factory standard , though I'm sure Winchester tuned out a few in their custom shop . One of those would be extremely rare .They did chamber a few push feeds in 6.5X55 , I remember seeing one or two , but I don't recall if the new Winchester ( FN owned ) Feather- Weights are currently clambered in 6.5X55 . I would happily take either . I just picked up a pre-64 standard grade Model 70 in 30-06 . It came with a newer Leopold M8 4 power on it , a really classic old rifle . I haven't shot it yet , but the bore looks good , the bedding is sound and the trigger breaks like glass . If it doesn't shoot , it'll probably be me , not the rifle . If you do pick one up , I don't think you'll be disappointed .

AB

Quote Originally Posted by SA shooter View Post
    James I have a Winchester feather weight in .308 I bought of a chap on this forum for not much money, The Rifle is around 14 years old. At first I was a little sceptical about the price and condition as he told me he can shoot a 3 shot group into a tennis ball. I thought I'll get it and have a go anyway. I had it screw cut before I even shot it. Bought 3 makes of 150 grain bullets and got a couple 168 grain Geco rounds of a mate and it shot 0.5 inch groups with 2 of the 3 makes and 168 grains. Since then I had it cerakoted and had the stock trigger worked on now breaking at 1.2 lbs. I felt that I owed the rifle the TLC as it shoots so well and dare I say "I will never sell the bad boy". I reload 125 grain and 150 grain heads for it and it puts them one on top of the other all day long providing I do my bit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	46394
    Nice rifle

A 6.5x55 SWE would be a newer Featherweight. They are controlled round feed, just like the pre-64, not that it matters. Personally, having owned pre-64s, push feeds, and the new ones, I think the newer ones ( last 10 years) are the best ever. They are very smooth, and shoot well. I have Featherweight Compact in 7mm-08 and a Featherweight for my son in .308. Beautiful rifles.

I have both under my roof: a push feed 6.5x55 that was purchased 2nd hand a dozen years ago, and a controlled feed 6.5x55 that is only a few years old. Both shoot and function equally well.~Muir