Thread: Bisley - individual shooting certification

Bisley - individual shooting certification

anyone have the training material required to pass this certification to allow for individual shooting at Bisley?

Quote Originally Posted by spatan7510 View Post
    anyone have the training material required to pass this certification to allow for individual shooting at Bisley?
    do you mean the safe shooters card? if so it is usually issued by your club chairman after you have been observed on the range during club days, is there a paper test that by-passes this? I would have thought the NRA would have a training day course available,I'm not aware of a written element to it, although no doubt some numpty will see the need to make money
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

When this was introduced, clubs were allowed to certify existing experienced members on a 'grandfathers' rights' basis. Anybody joining a club since then has to prove competency either through previous issue by another club, certification while serving in the armed forces, or by undergoing training / testing. The NRA provides guidance and material for clubs doing it and it's a mix of briefing / paper material and on-range training / supervision / testing. Clubs vary the material and approach to suit their and/or the individual's situation(s), but it's a very unwise club chairman who issues a certification card without having a fairly rigorous formal training and testing regime in place or good reason to assess the individual as competent, plus the related paper trail(s) to prove this.

As usual, the NRA website is a clear as mud on this issue, but you might get the details on this section:

http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/cer...n.asp?site=NRA

Just book a slot with the nra at bisley to do the assessment. It only takes half an hour to do and is not a pass or fail test if you do not meet the required standard you are shown how it should be done at the time. If you pm me I will talk you through what you need to know and if you want to I will meet you down there and go through it with you before you do the assessment.

Super TH4 - much appreciated. I was told by NRA that it cost 20 per discipline to get certified.

Quote Originally Posted by spatan7510 View Post
    Super TH4 - much appreciated. I was told by NRA that it cost 20 per discipline to get certified.
    If I remember rightly you are correct.