Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reloading topic: help wanted

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

reloading topic: help wanted

Hi lads

I am looking for a topic about seating the bullet too far into the case,(consequences of doing so, be that good or bad)

Reason: i have had a call from a lad i know in Selby who is having a few problems with his rifles ability to take a certain bullet:

what im after is a write up, not a report from some website from another user, would like to be able to cut and paste it to him.

can you help as all i keep finding is snipits on other forums.

thank you

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

The Rifleman's Journal: Articles Index

May be something in this link that can help. Generally it's accepted if you seat a bullet deeper than SAAMI spec. the pressure will increase with any given propellant charge from load data. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Hi lads

I am looking for a topic about seating the bullet too far into the case,(consequences of doing so, be that good or bad)

Reason: i have had a call from a lad i know in Selby who is having a few problems with his rifles ability to take a certain bullet:

what im after is a write up, not a report from some website from another user, would like to be able to cut and paste it to him.

can you help as all i keep finding is snipits on other forums.

thank you

bob.
    "Too Far" is a relative term. Can you be more specific? One thousandth of an inch or a quarter inch? Much depends on the cartridge and the charge. As above regarding pressure. Your friend might need to find a new bullet. ~Muir

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    The Rifleman's Journal: Articles Index

May be something in this link that can help. Generally it's accepted if you seat a bullet deeper than SAAMI spec. the pressure will increase with any given propellant charge from load data. ATB
    thank you ill have a read on this,

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    "Too Far" is a relative term. Can you be more specific? One thousandth of an inch or a quarter inch? Much depends on the cartridge and the charge. As above regarding pressure. Your friend might need to find a new bullet. ~Muir

Hi ~Muir, thank you

what he has told me is he is concerned that the base of the round he wants to try will be below the neck line of the case, thus entering the shoulder area.

now never having been there i have no idea what this will do in relation to the pressure/velocity and if it will/could cause damage etc.

thank you both

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Again, how far and what caliber? Look at cartridges like the 6.5 Remington Magnum and they come from the factory with the bullet seated deep into the powder supply. Likewise it's brother, the 350 Remington Magnum. It doesn't work with all cartridges tho.~Muir

Blog Entries
    Again, how far and what caliber? Look at cartridges like the 6.5 Remington Magnum and they come from the factory with the bullet seated deep into the powder supply. Likewise it's brother, the 350 Remington Magnum. It doesn't work with all cartridges tho.~Muir
    Hi Muir

its a calibre i know nothing about.

the 6xc,

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Hi Muir

its a calibre i know nothing about.

the 6xc,

bob.
    How far into the powder supply is the base of the bullet, do you know? Any incursion of the bullet into the powder supply area can raise pressures but I will routinely seat the base of a boat-tail bullet below the neck-shoulder junction.~Muir

as muir has said "how far is to far"
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Blog Entries
    cheers ~muir and Mark

he is out on the farm just now and i can't get an answer on the phone, but i think he said its touching/indenting the powder,(he marked the bullet then removed it, placed it back in on a smoothed of powder level and it left an indent on top). so he dropped me a line to ask the question from those who may have had to do this or who would know as said i have never been down this route at all.

thank you

bob.

6xc cases should be filled to the top, like every other cartridge.