Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Folding Highseat

Portable Folding Highseat

Steel folding high (or Low)seat which I had built. I designed it to be easily portable in a rucksack, weighs around 7kg. Good working order but some paint flaking off.

£70

Now reduced to £45 07/10/14
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a6.jpg   a4.jpg   a5.jpg   a3.jpg   a1.jpg  

a2.jpg  
    Last edited by oneeyeopen; 07-10-2014 at 17:22.

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeopen View Post
    Steel folding high (or Low)seat which I had built. I designed it to be easily portable in a rucksack, weighs around 7kg. Good working order but some paint flaking off.

£70
    Do you shoot free hand off it...................?

Tim.243

The skilled amongst us can ......Normally I would choose a tree with branches either side of the seat or trees that grow close together like chestnut and tie a rope or ratchet strap across the front. Took my first three boar off that seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    Do you shoot free hand off it...................?

Tim.243

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeopen View Post
    The skilled amongst us can ......Normally I would choose a tree with branches either side of the seat or trees that grow close together like chestnut and tie a rope or ratchet strap across the front. Took my first three boar off that seat.
    You forgot to include norma 308...... I must add a chestnut tree, rope/ratchet strap to my xmas list......

Tim.243

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    You forgot to include norma 308...... I must add a chestnut tree, rope/ratchet strap to my xmas list......

Tim.243
    Make that a portable chestnut tree. Or maybe just a stool?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Make that a portable chestnut tree. Or maybe just a stool?
    Stool is quite close to what I was thinking

Tim.243

I have a similar seat without the footrest.
    They are sold as seats for use during driven Boar shoots and are very popular in some countries.
    I went on a driven Boar shoot once and the seats were already in place with the number on them.
    The one I bought came with straps and a cushion and is very comfortable indeed.

Thanks EMcC.

Obviously this seat is not ideal or suitable for those with soft bottoms.

Unfortunately the land I used to shoot on was open access to the public and had rules - No seats to be left in place and no evidence of deer management and i don't have access to a 4WD. Further, in this area we are surrounded by antis, poachers and thieves. If I had a traditional high seat that was stashed in the woods it would be wrecked or stolen when discovered. So I needed a seat the was light enough to carry in on my back and still be able to carry back out with a deer on one shoulder and my rifle on the other.

Getting up the tree was no hassle because I could leave a cheap old ladder locked to a tree in the undergrowth, its purpose wasn't obvious and I hadn't lost much if it was stolen. If I fancied a shoot that meant walking some distance I could chuck a rope in the bag to get up the tree.

Hope this helps to explain the purpose of the seat a bit better.

When I had a piece of ground that was used by Joe Public, I built a high seat but used to leave the old cardboard 35mm film carton by it now and again. I hoped it would give anybody that visited the seat the idea that it was used for photography.
    Now I have lost that ground to a new owner who does not allow shooting on it, and guess what !
    Somebody suggested that as it was such a good place to observe Deer, he has built a purpose built 'Shed' with seats and an observation window.
    Although I have lost that ground I can't complain as I had free access to it for more than thirty years and took some nice animals off of it, cull animals of course.
    Last edited by EMcC; 01-09-2014 at 09:57.