UK Customs

ROE224

Has anyone recently purchased items from across the pond (USA).
If so, how long is it taking to clear customs?

Cheers Aye

Last edited:
If so, how is it taking to clear customs?

Cheers Aye

I haven't bought from the US - other than when I've visited there - but I have been buying a lot from New Zealand recently. At most items have been held up for a week whilst Parcelforce have sent me the letter asking me to pay duty and tax :(

I bought some armrest for leverage high seats and I got an email on the 26/08/14 to
say they landed at uk customs they haven't landed here yet

YOUR agent (UPS, DHL, FEDEX, Royal Mail etc.) have to pay the duty and VAT up front. If you have an account then it would have been cleared before departure from USA.

No account means clearance is handled in UK. Paper not electronic. YOUR agent will choose to get the money off YOU up front. There is a daily charge by HMRC for goods not cleared based upon declared value. Should YOU choose not to pay then YOUR agent still has to pay the duty and VAT. Hence the charge for clearing, they don't know if they are going to be stuck with an increasing cost because someone has gone on holiday etc.

No pay means YOUR agent gets legal right to the goods and just sends them off to auction. All they want is coverage of THEIR outgoings.

Now, there has been a lot of talk on this forum about foreign retailers billing Delivered Duty Paid. Yes, it does work. They use UPS, DHL, FEDEX etc who calculate, collect and deliver the tax to HMRC as part of the delivery fee charged by the vendor.

USPS just dump into Royal Mail or Parcelforce and they then become YOUR agent.

Stan

Anyone purchased a gun legally (assuming have calibre and free slot on FAC) in the US and brought it over to UK? Just wondering if there are recommendations for who does clearing, the approx cost of it, what the import duty is, assuming VAT will be chargeable.

[FONT=&quot]Notes on duty & taxes rates and compliance[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Rifle has an import duty rate of 3.2% and a VAT rate of 20% . Presentation of Individual or Specific Import Licence for Firearms, their parts and components may be required depending on the country specific legislation applied. CITES: Some probability that import of this product requires a CITES license, in case product is made of endangered species. High probability that restrictions apply for shipping this product with courier or postal companies. Articles including Section 5 Firearms, CS gas and pepper sprays, flick knives, tasers and stun guns are restricted. Please, contact your courier for more information. [/FONT]

At least the import duty does not break the bank...

If so, how long is it taking to clear customs?

Cheers Aye

Generally anything you buy online from the USA arrives quicker than anything you buy online in the UK.
British retailers take note..

Generally anything you buy online from the USA arrives quicker than anything you buy online in the UK.
British retailers take note..

+1 we ordered two neck sizing dies from Sinclair on a Thursday, they arrived the next Tuesday, we had the email to inform of us of despatch three hours after the order was placed.
The parcel was deliveded staright to our door by RM and so far we have not been collared for any duties and tax.

Ian.

Just received an item via American postal services, Notice through door stating £12.52 to pay Post Office, take it £4.52 was charge vat and notice of handling fee of £8. Looked this up and apparently you used to be able to ask supplier/shop to put notice on that customer will pay VAT But no longer is this notice on hmrc site, post office pays vat and now holds the customer to ransom for whatever charge that they want (there is no breakdown of charges etc whether the 4.52 was rotally VAT or an added on extra again, dont think i will be able to find out BUt its a thing to look out for )
Needless to say paid and another rifle up and running htomorrow.

I have just had a parcel come over of bits and pieces for an AR, just bits of rail, a sling mount, BAD lever charging handle etc. FedEx express (US division) excellent. got to Stanstead in 3 days. Here is where it went south. 3 items in the parcel were ITAR controlled but were under the 100 dollar exemption so could be exported. however here is the catch, because they were marked ITAR or something, FedEx uk would not carry it! Even though a stapler is more dangerous! only option was collect it in person or get a 3rd party to collect who would carry it. TNT turned out to be the only company that would carry it as it is firearm related.

This may be of interest to someone. It did clear customs in about a day though, charges are unknown at this stage.

Fed ex will not carry anything resembling a firearm even toys or air soft at the moment within the uk. Us fed ex will quite happily send it over though.

When they did my actions took three days door to door unless it goes route 1 for examination by customs.

Back