African hunt (gun handling!)

Bill Bartlett

Hi, guys - I am planning to take a ten day African hunt next year for mainly plains game, Kudu etc and wonder if anyone can recommend a good outfitter with quality animals - (behind wire, not a problem as long as the area is large and considerd a fair hunt) also, is it just me, but looking at clips of hunts on youtube etc, the gun handling by PH scares me. The way they carry firearms, pointing at others backs with no real concern where the muzzle is pointing, don't think I will be comfortable with this! What do others think? Cheers, Bill.

Last edited:
Hi, guys - I am planning to take a ten day African hunt next year for mainly plains game, Kudu etc and wonder if anyone can recommend a good outfitter with quality animals - (behind wire, not a problem as long as the area is large and considerd a fair hunt) also, is it just me, but looking at clips of hunts on youtube etc, the gun handling by PH scares me. The way they carry firearms, pointing at others backs with no real concern where the muzzle is pointing, don't think I will be comfortable with this! What do others think? Cheers, Bill.

Hi Bill,

A good friend of mine could arrange this for you I'm sure. having worked as a gamekeeper for many years he has now set up as a Sporting Agent; African hunting has always been his hobby outside of work, so he understands what it is like being on the paying end of the arrangement and would always go the extra mile to make sure you have a great time. his name is Mike (JLD Sporting | UK Deer Stalking | African Big Game Safari | Plains Game Hunting | Deep Sea Fishing) just give him a call for a chat about what you need. (Mods: I hope it is ok to pass on this info over the site. I have no financial interest in the company, I only know Mike to be a great guy who would do his upmost for his clients)

Thanks

Mac

Bill,

I rarely find the PH needs to take a rifle. If he feels the "need" there isn't one up.
After all, it's spot and stalk.
If it's on YouTube it must be true......

Stan

Hi Bill.

i can highly recommend Mayogi Safaris.

i am heading back with them in October, had a real good time with the guys last year,

PM me if you want details, I know the uk rep.

I've had good experiences with Bos en Dal (who is a member of this forum) over the past two years - and with others over many years. In my experience the PH does not carry a rifle on a plains game hunt. They sure do on a dangerous game hunt right enough but the guys I've been with are very conscious of their gun handling - and yours.
PM me if you want more info.
Have fun.

Hi Bill ,Try ARU game lodge Namibia I have been twice and just rebooked to go with them again up to Caprivi strip thy have 2 lodges on 2 farms very good ,lots of trophy heads speak to Danene there she is an excellent PH, flights easy whole trip faultless , pm me if you want any further info happy to chat

It's not the ph you need to worry about last year putting my bow through firearm check in on the way home an American was unloading his rifle at the check in desk in front of me, he must have put back in case without clearing. Very embarrassing for him but could have been disastrous

PM send sir!

(QUOTE=Bill Bartlett;839345]Hi, guys - I am planning to take a ten day African hunt next year for mainly plains game, Kudu etc and wonder if anyone can recommend a good outfitter with quality animals - (behind wire, not a problem as long as the area is large and considerd a fair hunt) also, is it just me, but looking at clips of hunts on youtube etc, the gun handling by PH scares me. The way they carry firearms, pointing at others backs with no real concern where the muzzle is pointing, don't think I will be comfortable with this! What do others think? Cheers, Bill.[/QUOTE]

PM sent

Back