Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet heads coming off

Bullet heads coming off

I've reloaded around 80 bullets myself now a are grouping great
    but three times now when I have gone to remove the un-shot bullet the head has stayed in the barrel and the case has ejected
    I have bought and using new Winchester cases and the overall length seems to be ok Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	46442Click image for larger version. 

Views:	142 
Size:	600.6 KB 
ID:	46443

Sounds like their seated out too far and that their being held up on the lands when extracting. How does it feel when you close the bolt?

Blog Entries
    You shouldn't be having neck tension issues with new brass so I suggest you take a close look at how your seating die is set up. This should both seat the bullet to the right depth and crimp the mouth of the case to the bullet.
    Take an empty case and resize it the run it through the seating die with no bullet. Does it do anything to the mouth of the case?
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Crimp case mouth on bullet, also sounds like you are seating into the lands.

Photo 1 shows what appears to be the slightest witness marks from your rifling.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by chris .222 View Post
    I've reloaded around 80 bullets myself now a are grouping great
    but three times now when I have gone to remove the un-shot bullet the head has stayed in the barrel and the case has ejected
    I have bought and using new Winchester cases and the overall length seems to be ok
    Chris. Good photos. Can you take a photo of a loaded round with a bare bullet alongside it? Thanks JCS

Quote Originally Posted by mikewilliams View Post
    Sounds like their seated out too far and that their being held up on the lands when extracting. How does it feel when you close the bolt?
    It feels fine on the bolt to me

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Crimp case mouth on bullet, also sounds like you are seating into the lands.

Photo 1 shows what appears to be the slightest witness marks from your rifling.
    Yes where the bullet starts to angle there are slight marks once put into the the rifle then removed

If kneck tension has been ruled out, almost certainly not seating the bullet deep enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Chris. Good photos. Can you take a photo of a loaded round with a bare bullet alongside it? Thanks JCS
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	123 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	46444

Chris

Thanks, I was keen to see the bare bullet v the loaded round. Something like this?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ng/Seating.JPG

Regards

JCS