Lollipop stick

Stingercargill

My wife's Labrador just ate a lollipop stick and she is worried what to do about it , she has phoned the vet and he has an appointment for tomorrow for a possible X-ray and to open him up and remove stick . The lollipop stick is less than 4 inches long and a couple of mm thick , he is sleeping after his walk and seems fine and still mooching as labs do . Your comments would be appreciated as I think it is overkill to put a big lab to sleep for the sake of a lollipop stick. As I think nature would take its course::

You may think it overkill, but it may be the best option. If you mean a typical ice lolly stick say 10cm x 1 cm, then although it might pass through the pylorus (stomach exit) and it might get all the way down the small intestine; it is unlikely to through the junction of small and large intestine. This could then be a bigger problem to remove. Hope he's OK. You could get lucky and he may vomit it up.

Was it swallowed in one gulp i.e. one piece or was it chewed to bits? Are you worried it might get stuck because it is too big or worried about splinters?

Alan

You asking the vets or the OP?

I'm much more copncerned by the whole stick as it may struggle to make it through the coils of the intestine given its length.

I'd be very much less worried about splinters - animals have passed glass through their digestive system with no ill effects.

I was asking the OP. I wasn't clear from his post.

I understood the advice you both gave was based on it being swallowed whole. I just wondered if the lab had crunched it a bit before swallowing…maybe it wouldn't alter your advice though which obviously covers any eventuality…maybe I'll just shut up and go to bed! :)

Hope the dog gets sorted successfully.

Alan

Last edited:
Any news of the dog?

Alan
Dog fine now , we were told from a friend (vet) if he was eating and fine in himself nature would do its thing , finally came up at lunchtime today a whole 8 days later with a lot of grass he must have been eating . We thought he must have pooped it out a few days ago and we had missed it .

Back