Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What built this...?

What built this...?

Anyone know which bird built this nest? My Mother has a big Bay tree next to the kitchen window.She put this old kettle in there hoping to attract a Robin. The kettle wasn't used but something built this amazing little nest right next to it. Its as neat as a new pin, tightly woven out of fir needles and not a single one out of place.
    She says she hasn't seen any Robins near the tree all summer. Could it be a wren? The entrance hole almost seems too small for a Robin anyway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00167.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	46465

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00166.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	46466

Aliens.

I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Well, if it was avian, there's only a couple of species which make this type of nest, wrens and long tailed tits (and dippers in riparian situations), never seen either make anything like this though, long tails usually make them of mosses and cobwebs lined with feathers, wrens similarly with mosses etc, perhaps this is the work of rodents rather than birds?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Not the builder i just had its too neat!! i'll go with doormouse

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Aliens.

Very small aliens

I think dormice could be right. It was built this year but is now abandoned. Is that a dormouse habit?

im pritty sure male wren's (if it is a wrens nest) will make several nests and basicaly let the female wren chose the one she likes best going by the picture she was a fussy b?t?h but it would explain why it was abandoned

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    im pritty sure male wren's (if it is a wrens nest) will make several nests and basicaly let the female wren chose the one she likes best going by the picture she was a fussy b?t?h but it would explain why it was abandoned
    Nail, head hit.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Here's one Wren made in a pile of biomass wood full chips, its six feet off the ground and took him four days to build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!