Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching your kids.

Teaching your kids.

So basically my 12 year old daughter is pestering me for a shot with a bigger rifle she's shot with a.22 a twelve bore at clays but now she's after a go with my 22/250 or 308 . I'm worried the recoil might put her off.should I let her have a go 'I keep making excuses lol. Caught her reading the best practise folder the other day.stuart

Blog Entries

Teaching your kids.

Ok so first of all your daughter cannot shoot your rifles without breaking the law unless she is at and a member of a Home Office approved club. Pedantry over.

My 12 year old daughter wants now to follow her 15 year old sister into my club. Her elder sister had her SGC at 12 and FAC at 14 ( mainly because I couldn't let her shoot Long Barrelled Pistol without this)

Elder sister was very slight. 12 year old is more robust but neither had the musculature to freehand shoot a gun at that age. This is really kids big issue with starting shooting.

My club teaches Black Powder, Centrefire, rimfire and practical Shotgun as part of probation. Some of these are pretty big bangs in an enclosed space and I have seen kids put off.

My elder daughter at 12 loved bench rest shooting including my .303 and .308 although she much preferred to shoot my moderated .308 because it tamed the recoil. Sitting down she would move with the recoil unlike prone where it will be jammed into her collar bone.

If you are going to do this buy her the best ear defenders you can afford. Make sure the rifle is well into her shoulder.

Hopefully she goes "Wow Dad that was fun! again, again" and your biggest risk is your shooting budget. You don't want to put her off or give her a flinch.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 01-09-2014 at 05:35.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

No no no, ND you have it all wrong !!!

Let her have a go on your .308 with as heavy a bullet possible, hopefully it will put her off, and save the purse strings from being tugged so hard.

Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Does a 12b recoil more that a moderated .308?

Blog Entries
    It's a different kind of feeling. You don't shoot a 12 bore prone either.

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    It's a different kind of feeling. You don't shoot a 12 bore prone either.
    Agreed, my post could appear flippant, personally if she's keen I would let her shoot a couple of shots in controlled conditions to keep the interest there.

Perhaps a .223 would be better still or failing that a mild .308 load.

Wish you all the best and please let me know how it goes as we all want our kids to enter into our hobby in the best possible way.

BASC Young Shots scheme is very good in some areas. As has been said, don't fall foul of the law especially in this world of social media and political correctness. It often surprises me that you see pictures of people's children in magazines with their first deer despite being too young to use a firearm.

Has she been stalking with you? It would be good to emphasise the fact that the shooting is only a small part of the whole package

Suppose I wasn't really thinking of the legal side of things'should have checked that first her size doesn't really worry me she's big for her age 'she was born at 10.5lb and 58 centimetres so she was never little so to speak. I'm happy to join a club with her ( if Morton ever opens). .would probably be my 22/250 is let her shoot it's quite heavy an recoil isn't existent really. She's been stalking seen deer shot gralloched and even made the burgers and pies and eat them quite happily. She's been pigeon shooting and ferreting 'fishing with me since she was old enough to walk.what to do what to do lol.

Blog Entries
    Great another kid who will grow up in touch with reality and be able to say " hang on a second" when someone spouts off about shooters being weirdo gun nuts!

Well done and thanks for the investment in our sports future.

You are extremely fortunate in you daughter,just hope and pray she retains the interest and doesn't get sidetracked. Both my sons were keen on fieldsports one was an excellent shot,the other a good rider,but in their late teens they found other things to play with and neither now shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by macfarlane View Post
    Suppose I wasn't really thinking of the legal side of things'should have checked that first her size doesn't really worry me she's big for her age 'she was born at 10.5lb and 58 centimetres so she was never little so to speak. I'm happy to join a club with her ( if Morton ever opens). .would probably be my 22/250 is let her shoot it's quite heavy an recoil isn't existent really. She's been stalking seen deer shot gralloched and even made the burgers and pies and eat them quite happily. She's been pigeon shooting and ferreting 'fishing with me since she was old enough to walk.what to do what to do lol.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.