Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm scared !!!

I'm scared !!!

Why ?

Because all I seem to be reading about is 'bad reloading practices' at the moment.

People, if you care about yourselves, and people near you. BUY AND READ A PROPER RELOADING MANUAL before you start loading. And more importantly, UNDERSTAND it.

If you have questions, ask BEFORE you try loading, and damaging a gun or worse, a bystander.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I liken this to climbing to the top diving board executing a perfect triple back somersault and lining up for a perfect entry only to realise you didn't check to see the pool had water in it!

start with the basics and then move on to ogive measurement's and seating depth , neck turning etc. you may find that a simple recipe followed from the loading book shoots as well as you ever need ?

people often over complicate stuff
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I think one of the problems is the number of "experts" giving the impression that you need to load the bullet "just a few thou off the lands" straight away you have introduced many ways to screw things up...measurement of chamber,measurement of cartridge, ogive differences from on model bullet to another...the list is endless! stick to the book, work the load up and don't exceed the COAL in the book until you are entirely sure how to measure it! its not the rocket science so many people will tell you it is....
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

2P Worth
    this is why i say always say monkey see monkey do , when a lad is requesting help there is nr always some chap on this site that is willing to show them how its done who lives within a short drive and why this site is a real book of help on its own and normally Free other than a brew. no blown guns or faces please as its been said then type in for help.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    I think one of the problems is the number of "experts" giving the impression that you need to load the bullet "just a few thou off the lands" straight away you have introduced many ways to screw things up...measurement of chamber,measurement of cartridge, ogive differences from on model bullet to another...the list is endless! stick to the book, work the load up and don't exceed the COAL in the book until you are entirely sure how to measure it! its not the rocket science so many people will tell you it is....
    You are correct in saying it isn't rocket science, but newbies should treat their newly created ammunition, ... Just like a miniature rocket, solid fuelled, and with pretty nasty consequences if they get it badly wrong,
    These guys were experts of sorts....WWII German V2 Rocket Tests | Military.com
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    2P Worth this is why i say always say monkey see monkey do , when a lad is requesting help there is nr always some chap on this site that is willing to show them how its done who lives within a short drive and why this site is a real book of help on its own and normally Free other than a brew. no blown guns or faces please as its been said then type in for help.
    This is one of my gripes, people do not always put their location in their avator.
    There is no need for an address but a rough location would stir more people into offering help.
    I have often seen things that people are asking questions about and could often have shown them the actual item or offered assistance on other matters, but just cannot be bothered to Pm and find they live the other side of UK or even a large County in some cases.

Have a good friend who only ever suggests to a new loader, seek out a good reloading guide & then start to copy exactly the last factory ammo he shot, once he has that exercise performed the same everytime, then expand on that, all the basic skills should be in place by then.

Quote Originally Posted by rick6point5 View Post
    Have a good friend who only ever suggests to a new loader, seek out a good reloading guide & then start to copy exactly the last factory ammo he shot, once he has that exercise performed the same everytime, then expand on that, all the basic skills should be in place by then.
    And this is smart.
    How many of us see posts by people who have taken bad advice from a "mentor" and gotten into trouble? "Been loading for years!" but it's ony been for one rifle and one cartridge: much akin to calling the burger-flipper at Mc Donalds a chef. Just because the guy down the road is a reloader there is no assurance he does it correctly.

On the other hand, a reloading manual was an investment in time, money, and science that the producers will be held responsible for. Reloading is a simple, simple procedure when you follow the instructions in the book exactly. I was blessed to grow up around gunsmiths and ardent reloaders yet I was tossed a book to read when I wanted to learn about reloading. When i had a question that couldn't be answered by the book(s) I petitioned an answer but I was always encouraged to find it in the books as then I would remember it and understand it.

It's sad when you read a post asking a question so basic that you know that they poster has never cracked a loading manual.~Muir

I just want to say that I have read my Lee manual several times. Just so you know. The Internet's fine and dandy but someone had to spend money on printing the book. The book has quality control. Now that said, Mr Lee's literary style needs work.

I have read the Lee and Nosler manuals
    The Lee book is a good brochure for Lee products and has a better range of data than some...but....
    my thirst for info was left unquenched!!

Case in point:
    "reloading for hunting ammo should always be full length sized"....no explanation!
    I found it lacking in the fundamentals of the process and decent explanation of internal ballistics
    the Nosler book is much better on the Fundamentals but still goes into little detail IMO

I have read P O Ackley's - Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders
    Very informative, but it makes certain assumptions about the reader...one being that they already have an advanced understanding of reloading.

What should be concerning me is the lack of basic physics knowledge that you see posted.
    things of one size not fitting inside things of a smaller size....

I would say 90% or queries come from sizing and OAL
    just look at the reloading page titles
    This should be the simple part......
    lets face it the manufacturers make the basic assumption that it is charge load data you need, not instructions on the principles of resizing and seating