Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac Kidney Cyst - Vet comment?

Muntjac Kidney Cyst - Vet comment?

Found during a carcass inspection on a Muntjac taken last week. Noticed Kidney was an abnormal shape and firm to feel. On further inspection discovered a cyst filled with a clear liquid with white flecks inside. No other abnormalities found. It was an older Buck (6+ years old at a guess). In good shape other than the effect a well placed bullet creates so no qualms about putting into the food chain. I am presuming a parasite of some kind. Had a look at some other posts on Kidney abnormalities but thought I would add to the bank of info. Would welcome comment from the vets.

I'd say likely an abscess or a cyst. We see them occasionally. The rest of the kidney looks normal. No reason for rejection if other kidney and rest of carcase normal.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

It might have been tapeworm cyst from the description of clear liquid and white bits. Agree that safe to eat

It looks to me, like a hydronephrotic cyst and the clear fluid could be urine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cry Havoc View Post
    It looks to me, like a hydronephrotic cyst and the clear fluid could be urine.
    No, it's not. Hydronephrosis is caused by a blockage in the ureter that causes back pressure in the kidney and destroys all functional tissue.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    No, it's not. Hydronephrosis is caused by a blockage in the ureter that causes back pressure in the kidney and destroys all functional tissue.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Hydronephrosis example. Made available to me by a professional stalker a few years ago

Looks like an hydatid cyst to me.was it hard? Can be dangerous if it bursts..if you find cysts like that you don't want to be cutting them. .they are normally under pressure and you don't want it in your eyes or mouth!!

Wayne

Surrounding tissue was firm. What's the danger?
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk