Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red rut 2014

Red rut 2014

Stags are just starting to roar and the clash of antlers can be heard.. Quite early compared to some places... Anyone else think it's going to be a hard winter in Scotland ? Or England for that matter?

Skipp

Quote Originally Posted by skippy1001 View Post
    Stags are just starting to roar and the clash of antlers can be heard.. Quite early compared to some places... Anyone else think it's going to be a hard winter in Scotland ? Or England for that matter?

Skipp
    Yes, both.

Well it really depends on the economic situation in Germany and Italy wether it will be a hard winter.

Stags roaring already?? That's very very early?

I think a lot of the big boys have taken to the woods now.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil12 View Post
    I think a lot of the big boys have taken to the woods now.
    +1 On that...seeing lots of hinds but no stags with them yet

It is early ! Last year was early but not this early. I'm starting to think there may be something odd with the wild reds round here, the local farmer has a passion for turnips, I'm not just talking 20 tons now and then I'm talking 100tons every single day all bloody year round ! It stinks !!!! The reds come regularly to gorge on the three feet thick piles of turnips, maybe to much turnip is having some effect on breeding seasons ? I just stuck my head out the window and there at it agin ! Clashing antlers and roaring ! Hmm I don't think they are fighting over the last turnip ... That's for sure !!! Strange .

There was a roar seen and heard here at the beginning of last week. Definitely early although everything has been early in Uist this year. The goslings have been 5 weeks early, some flying at the beginning of July. Stags were clean a good 2 weeks earlier than usual with only the knobbers left in velvet. Most of the stags are still on the low ground though, fattening up before the battles commence.

Scott

Thanks for the reply Scott a friend on lewis is seeing signs of an early rut too! Not wanting to read to much into it just yet but nature generally is a good indicator of the seasons. I'm just weighing up if I should buy that snow plough ! It's Sod's law if I buy it it won't snow if I don't it will fall all winter!

when should it start by rights.i must keep an eye out over here also