Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old BSA Mod E

Old BSA Mod E

Seeing as Brithunter's account is suspended, I think this question may be a bit of a long shot, but does anyone out there know if the action profile on the BSA Mod E (factory sporterised/reworked P14) was cut to match the profile of the Winchester Mod 70? I plan to rescope my Mod E in the next couple of weeks, but suspect the body tube of the new scope will be too short for the BSA'a long action and will necessitate using a reach-back mount on the front base. It's got Parker Hale bases and rings on it at the moment but I strongly suspect that there's no such thing as a reach-back mount to fit PH bases. I have a spare set of Weaver bases from a Win Mod 70 and a suitable set of rings is available from Optics Warehouse. I just want to know if the Mod 70 bases will fit before I remove the current set up, only to find the Weaver bases unsuitable.
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...bsa-mod-e.html
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I'm sure I've got a cross reference chart somewhere in the " pile " . I'll see if I can find and I'll let you know . What number are the PH bases that are on the gun now ?

AB

Ok , I've had a look and talked to a buddy who's owned a number of Enfield based BSA sporters and everything says that they're set up for the same bases as a Rem 700 . Standard base numbers are 35 and 36 , they list a front extension base , number 40 A . I'll double check and get back to you tomorrow .

AB
    Last edited by alberta boy; 02-09-2014 at 04:00.

The Model 30 Remington Express (a Commercial sporter P-14/1917) used Remington 700 bases, IIRC. No telling about the hole spacing between front and back pairs but you might get lucky.~Muir

Thanks to both of you. I've no idea what number the bases are that are fitted as I've never looked. I guess I'll have to suck it and see. At least, whether they are Mod 70 or 700, they're readilly available.

Found a set of rings to fit my existing bases; Sportsmatch HTO75 from Tawnado Air Guns. I'll soon be re-scoped and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Found a set of rings to fit my existing bases; Sportsmatch HTO75 from Tawnado Air Guns. I'll soon be re-scoped and ready to go.
    Glad you got it sorted , sounds like an easier solution .

AB

Added bonus is that the scope's body tube is longer than it looked on the photos I saw, so no need for reach-back mounts.

Nice rifle. Glad you got it figured out.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Added bonus is that the scope's body tube is longer than it looked on the photos I saw, so no need for reach-back mounts.
    That's a problem I've run into a fair amount over the last ten years or so . The older scopes , on average , had longer main tubes and were easier to mount on long action rifles without using extension rings or bases . The newer scopes tend to be shorter over-all and I have a hard time getting proper eye relief without using extensions , maybe it's just me . Let us know how the BSA shoots when you get it out , by the way , I do like that rifle............... now I want one lol .

AB