Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of Stalking

Cost of Stalking

I'm looking for people's opinionís on the cost of stalking here in the UK.

I'm new to sport here, but have been shooting game in South Africa for many years. I've been out a few times with a friend and don't have a problem paying for his time, knowledge, advice and of course the priviledge of being out on "his"land. He lets me take as much venison as i want, plus takes me rough shooting and lamping and never argues if i take some of the bag home for the freezer.

However, my friend is unavailable this year and so i'm stuck for somewhere to stalk. I've looked around on the internet and found a few places but costs are really heavy on my small pocket (and no, that's not because i'm tight). Most places charge you per outing, there's no extras like lamping etc included and then still expect you to pay for the meat you wish to keep.

I understand people need to make a living but bleeding everyone else dry in the process isn't really fair.

I'm not a trophy hunter, i'm out there because i enjoy being out in nature and if i bag something for the freezer then that's just a bonus.

By the time you've taken into account all costs you're looking at £500 for 2 days stalking, accomodation and a deer for the freezer. That's a lot of money out of my budget.

i know many of you have your own grounds but a newbie like me stands no chance of finding this. To me, it's a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow

Hi,
    I've got lucky, but so can anyone.
    I got my own bit last August, but until then I was paying between £60 and £70 per outing. I did the stalker a few favours, with lighting etc in his cabin, some stalking came my way gratis, and we still have a good relationship. I would reccomend him to anyone, and do. He travels two hours to be there, and can't then go home between the morning and evening stalk. Like most stalkers he offers no garuantees, but without saying too much, he tries very hard not to let anyone go away dissapointed. You pay for the carcass at the going rate. Now I can't speak for all of course but I don't think £140.00 is too much for a long day out.
    Whats your opinion?
    Mark

Grantoliver
    hi

I agree with your opinion. I know my friend lost some of his land as some wealthy guys walked in and offered the farmer a fortune for the rights.

i enjoy game shooting too but i cant afford the cost of a decent driven day.

It's a pity that it always comes down to money.

Thats business! This has been gone over before, so I won't flog it to death again.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by sp4rkman
    I agree with your opinion. I know my friend lost some of his land as some wealthy guys walked in and offered the farmer a fortune for the rights.

i enjoy game shooting too but i cant afford the cost of a decent driven day.

It's a pity that it always comes down to money.
    some times it is not all about money as i am living proof to that
    i got my ground as no one else wanted it and from my presence and hard work, i got more land adjoining it, so don't be to despondent as there is lots of ground out there to be had for free, just hav to look for it and be gratefull when it arrives

ive got over 2500 aces to stalk on so far for free, just today i got 250 more acres of land right alongside a huge forest,saw plenty fallow there this morning but i had no rifle sometimes farmers try give me few euro to even take deer off their land its great, my advice is to move to ireland and be good to the farmers haha!!

Tiny, if you dont mind me asking, whereabouts in ireland do you live (rough idea - not looking for street address). My family are Irish but ive have not come across any deer in the area in which they live.

You're very fortunate to have secured all that land! I'm very jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_in_ireland
    ive got over 2500 aces to stalk on so far for free, just today i got 250 more acres of land right alongside a huge forest,saw plenty fallow there this morning but i had no rifle sometimes farmers try give me few euro to even take deer off their land its great, my advice is to move to ireland and be good to the farmers haha!!
    the luck of the irish a
    well done tiny

the south east, county waterford, its absolutely full of fallow deer here, some sika but only very little. cheers lads!